Trailer Ball on a Woods BH6000

/ Trailer Ball on a Woods BH6000 #1  

KeithInSpace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I hated that I had to give up the ability to tow a trailer unless I removed my BH. I use my trailer too darn much.

I came up with a nice way of mounting a modified reciever hitch draw-bar into the steps at the back of the BH6000 so I could tow a trailer. Not that I would try to pull a sailboat with it or anything, but it certainly lets me move the trailer around with a fairly hefty load (as evidenced by picture). The ball is fairly close to the machine and is quite stable.

Not much worry of the step bending with as close as I've mounted it...not a huge moment there and the step is thick and repeatedly welded. The tongue of the draw-bar actually rests on the step, so there is lots of support on all ends of the assembly.

When in use, I swing the BH boom all the way to the right side of the machine...right hand turns are a little limited by the trailer hitting the bucket/dipperstick, but I get around just fine.

It took about 30 minutes of grinding the draw-bar to make the slots, then I cut to length. The bolts are simply 1/2" Grade 8 tightened as much as possible.

Not the most elegant thing on the planet, but it works pretty well.

Attachments

• 1 Reciever Modified and ready to mount.jpg
    1 Reciever Modified and ready to mount.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 490
  • 2 Step Ready for Ball.jpg
    2 Step Ready for Ball.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 401
  • 3 Ball Mounted to Step Close.jpg
    3 Ball Mounted to Step Close.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 4 Ball Mounted to Step.jpg
    4 Ball Mounted to Step.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 454
  • 5 Bad Tow Rig.jpg
    5 Bad Tow Rig.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 508
   / Trailer Ball on a Woods BH6000 #2  
Pretty neat! :cool: I think I can take my BH off in under three minutes, but I know what you mean. :D :D

/ Trailer Ball on a Woods BH6000
BX2230_Lockport said:
under three minutes

I'm not that good. That's pretty quick. Guess I need to practice some more. I'm a solid 4 or 5 minutes, but I put mine on a dolly so I can move it around the garage. At least that's my excuse.

Sometimes you really DO need all your junk all at once. The need was created by wanting to haul the stumps to a builder burn pile, but since several were 400# to 600#, I needed my BH to help remove them from the trailer once I got there.

/ Trailer Ball on a Woods BH6000 #4  
Just curious whats inthe tall pen shown behind and next to your trailer.

/ Trailer Ball on a Woods BH6000 #5  
My magnifier says 'tomato plants'.

/ Trailer Ball on a Woods BH6000
We have LOTS of deer and other stuff around our house. We're on 2 heavily wooded acres and happen to have 3 5-acre undeveloped lots directly behind us.

When the wife wanted a garden, I knew it was hopeless without a fence of some type. Being who I am, I had to make it about 6 times more elaborate than ever envisioned. Many feet of 2 x 2, some deer netting, and 4,000 pneumatic brads later, I had a really nice pen that has done an exceptional job of keeping all manner of animal out.

First year of gardening, so we greatly underestimated the value of good potting soil and fertilizer. I put nice soil in there, but I guess it was pretty dead stuff because I've had limited success in growing the veggies. The water keeps things alive, but production has been limited.

No biggie. It's been fun and the kids have LOVED watching seeds become things you eat.

Next year will be a bumper crop. I can feel it.