Trailer behind tractor?

/ Trailer behind tractor? #1  

inode

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD12
What does everyone use as a trailer behind their tractor? I'm wanting a trailer to haul wood out from behind the tractor when cutting. I have an old pickup bed on a trailer frame that I thought about using. However, the bed is rusted out and I don't think it could handle a load of wood.

/ Trailer behind tractor? #2  
If it is just the sheeetmetal of the bed that is rusted it will probably haul it fine. If it is the frame that could be a different story, post up some photos and leave it to the wizards amongst us to judge its structural integrity.

/ Trailer behind tractor? #3  
I have a cheapie 4x8 flat tilting utility trailer. The kind with 13" tires and you have to make your own deck. From NT or HF - some Chinamart type place like that. Works well enough but would be useless for firewood since it tilts down a lot to hook @ drawbar and no sides - which could be worked around to make a decent wood hauler.

Honestly, the trailer usually just ends up sitting with various crap piled on it.... Just as easy for me to split the wood where I want it stacked or just leave stuff in my truck bed and unload where I'm going to use it vs transferring to trailer that holds less than my truck.

I don't use a lot of firewood though. Just whatever trees die or a storm knocks down - I cut those up & split just to do something with them & always have plenty from that for big camp fires when I have people over.

/ Trailer behind tractor? #4  
I have a small 4x8 utility trailer, probably rated for 1500lbs that I regularly put probably 2500lbs (2/3 of cord) or more of firewood on and tow behind tractor or truck. I built some side racks for it that slide on and off.
I did bolt 4" high pieces of steel between the axle and the springs to raise it up so the fenders wouldn't rub, and so tongue height would match truck hitch better. Then I had to put bigger tires on it cause all that extra weight would make the original skinny tires sink in the clay right up to the axles. :laughing:

/ Trailer behind tractor? #5  
   / Trailer behind tractor? #6  
I have a bunch from Tiny to Huge! All I can say for sure is anything that dumps is a HUGE advantage and time/labor saver.

/ Trailer behind tractor? #8  
I've been through several trailers behind my tractor. The one I used for years was a home-built by my neighbor. The bed is just under 5' wide and about 8 1/2' long. He made it from an old mobile home axle and some left over steel. It had a 2" ball on it at one point, but now has a tractor-style pin hitch. Usually, I pull it from the logging winch on my 3 PT hitch (the winch has been modified with a receiver hitch. I just put in an insert without a ball mounted on it and hook the pin hitch to that. Occasionally, I'll put one of those draw-bars that mounts between the lower 3 Pt hitch arms to tow it. It was inexpensive (he gave it to me) and will carry 1/2 cord of green Beech or or Oak without a problem (shown here behind my Coot. That load is really too much for the Coot, but the trailer has no problem.) It has some decent size wheels on it, which have proven useful in the woods. If the sides ever need to be replaced, I'll probably go about 6" higher than what is shown here. Overall width is about 6'. This works out OK on most of my trails, but is wider than my tractor, so not really ideal for working in tight quarter in my woods.
Coot pulls 3000lbs.jpg

I also own a Polar model 8262. Manual dump (works surprisingly well, 1500# capacity, walking arm suspension. I added the optional extended sides. It's a nice for use behind an ATV/UTV (I bought it to use with my Coot), but much too small to be practical behind my 33 HP tractor. I do occasionally use it as a tool hauler, or when my other options are full. The pin hitch on the trailer would not fit the tractor's built-in drawbar, so I towed it similarly to what is mentioned for the home-built trailer above. This trailer has since been converted to a 2" ball hitch. Generally I don't recommend this for anything larger than a subcompact.

Polar trailer.JPG

One of my more recent additions was a CAM Woodsman dump trailer. I really like this trailer. It's narrow - a little over 4' wide, so very maneuverable in the woods. Capacity is about 3500#. It's not currently street legal, but can be made so fairly easily. You can get them set up to run off tractor hydraulics, or with a self-contained 12VDC hydraulic pump. Min ehas the hydraulic pump, which is great for when I pull it behnd I found it used a couple hours from me. Really, this is an almost ideal dump trailer for use behind a compact tractor in the woods. Now that I have a dump trailer, I wonder how I ever got by without one. No good pics of this one yet. I'll try to remember to get one.

Log forwarding trailer - Hard to justify the expense of one of these just for personal use. There is a huge jump in price from the typical ATV-sized ones to something more suited for use behind a tractor. This one is a Metavic M95. I found it for sale used - in like new condition, from a guy a couple of hours down the road from me.

Metavic 1st log.jpg

Last edited:
   / Trailer behind tractor? #9  
If PU bed is old and rusted but has solid frame and axle throw a sheet of plywood (or steel plate) in bed and go for it.... IF you are not on roads or streets if something falls through its not going to be a issue....

It's a trailer for moving stuff and as long as it moves stuff anything goes....

Only thing I ever found with my small trailer behind my JD L120 mower was Marathon solid core tires that don't go flat after fighting 4-5 flats I gave up on tube or tubeless types...... IF building small trailer I would consider foam filled ones if you do not need pneumatic tires...

Dale

/ Trailer behind tractor? #10  
snip>
View attachment 583566

I also own a Polar model 8262. Manual dump (works surprisingly well, 1500# capacity, walking arm suspension. I added the optional extended sides. It's a nice for use behind an ATV/UTV (I bought it to use with my Coot), but much too small to be practical behind my 33 HP tractor. I do occasionally use it as a tool hauler, or when my other options are full. The pin hitch on the trailer would not fit the tractor's built-in drawbar, so I towed it similarly to what is mentioned for the home-built trailer above. This trailer has since been converted to a 2" ball hitch. Generally I don't recommend this for anything larger than a subcompact.

View attachment 583568

One of my more recent additions was a CAM Woodsman dump trailer. I really like this trailer. It's narrow - a little over 4' wide, so very maneuverable in the woods. Capacity is about 3500#. It's not currently street legal, but can be made so fairly easily. You can get them set up to run off tractor hydraulics, or with a self-contained 12VDC hydraulic pump. Min ehas the hydraulic pump, which is great for when I pull it behnd I found it used a couple hours from me. Really, this is an almost ideal dump trailer for use behind a compact tractor in the woods. Now that I have a dump trailer, I wonder how I ever got by without one. No good pics of this one yet. I'll try to remember to get one.

Log forwarding trailer - Hard to justify the expense of one of these, but the ones I looked it were very well built. This one is a Metavic M95:

View attachment 583570
<snip

Now THAT Polar trailer is on nice little trailer. Ideal for 'round-the-farm' use. But, for $700, I probably won't be buying one. I'll just have to continue using my old Snowco snowmobile trailer. Thanks for your post though - very informative.