Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #1  

HarleyScooter

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ BX2230
A while ago someone on here had the idea of putting a switch on their tractor to control the trailer breaks and since I just moved up to a dual axle trailer that I will be moving while it is loaded with wood I thought that would be a good idea. I thought about the use of a off/ on switch but decided to go with a trailer brake controller so the brakes could be eased on. I bought a used controller off of E-Bay, a brake switch from the parts store, and a wiring plug from the truck shop. I made a bracket for the switch and welded a tab on the brake arm to control it then added a LED warning light so hopefully I will not forget to release the brake before taking off with the tractor (again) I had a switched 4 way trailer plug under the seat already that is used for lights or the rear 12 volt sprayer, I ran wiring to that plug for brake lights, and trailer brakes. With the 7 pin connector mounted to the receiver hitch I wired it to control the trailer running lights with the existing on/off switch, brake lights (with a jumper inside the plug connector to control both trailer brake lights) and a wire for trailer brakes. the other end of this harness is just a flat 4 connector so I can easily remove the hitch when needed. The first time I pulled the loaded trailer down the hill it tried to push my little tractor but the brake controller made it easy to to keep the load under control. I found this to be a good/ cheap addition to the BX and wanted to share this modification.

Attachments

• Brake switch.jpg
    Brake switch.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 638
  • Trailer brakes2.jpg
    Trailer brakes2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 509
  • Trailer brakes4.jpg
    Trailer brakes4.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 832
  • Trailer brake plug connector.jpg
    Trailer brake plug connector.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 662
   / Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #2  
Looks very well done. I like the shrink tubing and dielectric grease (at least it looks like dielectric grease) on the connections of the switch.

Aaron Z

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #3  
is that an ouggaa horn I see there:thumbsup:

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX
Yes that is dielectric grease and a auooggaa horn, I guess retirement has left me with to much time on my hands LOL.

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #5  
Very neat. We pull around large boats all the time with my Jinma 28 HP tractor, some as heavy as 25,000#. Too bad most have surge brakes and not electric brakes. Only 10% or less have electric. Its never been a problem because the lot is flat but I am sure someday there will be a pucker factor.

Chris

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #6  
That is one item I feel should be standard equipment on all tractors--A HORN. My 1700 ford had it, My kioti doesn't. Time to go get tinkerin.

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #7  
I wonder if just a momentary switch would work for a tractor rather than having a controler?

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX
I wonder if just a momentary switch would work for a tractor rather than having a controler?

dieselscout, my thoughts were any switch other than a controller would supply the full system voltage and totally lock the brakes, this would be better than no brakes in an emergency but I got the used controller for $25 shipped so I went with it.

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #9  

you could- but it would be full lockup of tires. you might want to go with a variable switch of some sort, so when stopping a trailer it doesnt jerk you out of the seat, but slows you down and then hold.

I thought about does what harley scooter did, but it would mean the controller could get wet from rain or ruined from snow when clearing snow, unless I make a temp mount instead.

/ Trailer brake controller on a Kubota BX #10  
It would take a stout switch also. There is a lot of current going to the brakes.

Chris