Trailer brakes

/ Trailer brakes #11  
Last edited:
   / Trailer brakes
My FIL was the one that used to maintain the trailer. He was was meticulous about packing bearings. The one thing I never understood was that he never had a brake controller for this or any of his boats. Since he never had a brake controller I am sure he never worried about adjusting brakes.

Now when my wife left the campsite last weekend she noticed the brake controller just had the logo displayed and no trailer braking. Not sure what is up with that.

/ Trailer brakes #13  
Boat trailers that have brakes generally don't require brake controllers, since they use surge brakes. Trailer with this kind of brakes will have brake master cylinder on tongue, using the weight of the trailer to apply hydraulic pressure to non electric brakes. Simple system but electric brakes are much nicer, but you don't want electric brakes underwater. Electric over hydraulic systems are available, but they're pricey.

/ Trailer brakes #14  
   / Trailer brakes #15  
Having lived in Michigan for the majority of my life, I will add one more thing to the conversation. In my experience, trailer brakes that sit unused most of the time tend to rust up and not work. There are several parts in there that must move to actuate the brakes, and if they can't move, the brakes won't work.

On the flip side, if they do move, and there is rust, they can hang up and result in the brakes dragging.

I suggest pulling the hubs, and checking all the brake components. Clean up the pivots, and lightly grease them for best resistance to rusting up. Once everything moves freely, the brakes should work pretty well. FWIW, with the tiny brakes used on most small campers, you probably won't be able to lock them, even with the controller cranked.

I have a Prodigy P2, and would recommend the Prodigy series to anyone considering a controller. MUCH better performance than the time ramp units, which are just about useless in a panic stop when you need trailer brakes the most. Much smoother than the pendulum type controllers too. P3 will even tell you if there are problems with your brake circuit, or magnets. Can't beat that!!

/ Trailer brakes #19  
I'll bet that the majority of trailer owners here on TBN use their trailers less than six time per year....or something like that. Thus most of 'em are sitting outdoors in the weather......At least that's what mine does. The tires are covered, the break'away battery gets charged now and then and the deck is coated with linseed oil yearly. But each time I do use it the brakes and controller seem funky. But for short hauls around town it isn't a problem. Grease the bearings yearly..........I don't think so. ....just sayin'
Cheers,
Mike

/ Trailer brakes #20  
I bought a 20' Diamond C trailer last month. When I asked the dealer about lubing the EZ lube axles he said 'DON'T!!' He claims that lubing these axles forces grease past the seals and onto the brakes. He recommended a yearly teardown and re-pack of the bearings.

That's not happening. I have been lubing these types of axles with the grease gun for years with no ill effects. And in that time, I've probably towed five to ten thousand miles per year. In the future, I plan to jack up the wheel being lubed and spin it as I pump the grease. This should help the grease get through the bearings instead of through the seals.

Anyone every tear down their properly lubed axles and find grease all over the brakes?