Trailer conversion

/ Trailer conversion #1  

lstinthot

Silver Member
Tractor
CT230
What's involved with converting a 7000# trailer to something with a little more capacity. I have a 16 foot diamond deck car hauler rated at 7000#. I believe I could just swap the axles and upgrade the tires. Am I missing anything. Already has brakes.

Thanks

/ Trailer conversion #2  
Often times the tires and axles are the weak link but the frame of the trailer may not be designed to hold any more than that either. I have been down this road before and you usually are time and money ahead to just sell it and buy a heavier trailer. All the conversion parts can add up fast.

/ Trailer conversion #3  
5200# axles with brakes are $350 each. Springs, hangers, etc will run about $250 for the whole set. Wheels and tires maybe $180 each. I assume you want 5 including a spare. Total cost $1850. Figure in your time and you would probably be better to sell your trailer, put the $1850 you would have spent with it and buy something stouter all the way around.

/ Trailer conversion
I have been offered close to $2000 for my trailer, looks like take that with another $1300 or so I could have a new one. Thanks for the break down.

5200# axles with brakes are $350 each. Springs, hangers, etc will run about $250 for the whole set. Wheels and tires maybe $180 each. I assume you want 5 including a spare. Total cost $1850. Figure in your time and you would probably be better to sell your trailer, put the $1850 you would have spent with it and buy something stouter all the way around.

/ Trailer conversion #5  
Make sure you find another one before you sell yours...
David from jax

/ Trailer conversion #6  

Hitch coupler probably needs an upgrade, too.

/ Trailer conversion #7  
In August, 1990, I had that done to our 32' fifth-wheel. It was built with 3500# axles and I went to the Dexter factory in Elkhart, IN, and ordered custom built axles; 5200# axles but using the 6000# tubes (2" x 2.50"), bigger brakes, springs, shackles, nuts and bolts. But it would not be worth it for a utility trailer.

/ Trailer conversion #8  
If your 7K trailer has the Mfg. ID and rating tag on it your state may not let you raise the weight limit above Mfg. specs. There is a lot more involved than swapping axles and tires for Mfgs. to get a certified rating on trailers.
Best to sell the 7K and look for a trailer with the capacity you need.

/ Trailer conversion #9  
I'd be willing to say the frame wouldn't hold up, plus like George2615 wrote your state may not go along with your idea.

/ Trailer conversion #10  

Totally agree. Besides, if you wanted to sell that trailer later, as a buyer, I wouldn't want to buy a trailer that someone else has converted.