trailer for B2920

/ trailer for B2920 #1  

donn12

Platinum Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB turfs and loaded ags
I have a B2920 that may need to be transported 2 miles away infrequently. My wife's truck (2007 Lexus LX470) can easily tow this amount. I am thinking of a 16 or 18ft tandem axle landscape trailer.
Does anyone know the law in Virginia? Are trailer brakes mandatory? I am looking for a used full size truck for this so I would rather not add a brake control unit to her SUV if I don't need to. I realize I am setting myself up for a safety lecture but I am talking about 2 miles, two lane road, 35 mph. We are in horse country so I could drive this distance at 15mph.
Anyone know the Virginia laws?

/ trailer for B2920 #2  
I don't know about Virginia laws but any trailer hauling a combined weight of 3000 lb. or more should have trailer brakes to be safe. According to tractor data you 2920 weighs 1554 lb. without any attachments. As long as your trailer, tractor, and attachments are under 3K you should be OK. Since your tractor has loaded tires and with the attachments you list it probably weighs closer to 2500 which when put on a trailer will put you above 3000 lb. I'd want the trailer to have brakes.

If you only need to go 2 miles I'd drive the tractor down the road. Just make sure you have a slow moving vehicle triangle on the tractor.

/ trailer for B2920 #3  
What you have to consider is, does the tow vehicle have enough braking to stop the added weight in an emergency. i.e. The neighbor boy that runs out after a ball, or a deer, etc. I tow equipment everyday, 2 or 200 miles makes no difference. If you don't want to put a brake controller in the suv then look for a trailer with surge brakes. They work by the inertia of the trailer continuing forward actuating a master cylinder. My opinion, you won't regret getting trailer brakes, you might regret not getting them.

/ trailer for B2920 #4  
For only 2 miles I would drive the tractor. It will take 1/2 half hour to hitch up the trailer, load the tractor, strap it down, ect.

The law according to my book for VA is any trailer over 3,000# must have brakes and a brake away system capable of holding the trailer for 15 minutes.

Chris

/ trailer for B2920 #5  
2 miles ? I'd just drive it.

/ trailer for B2920 #7  
I concur on driving it the 2 miles. You will arrive at your destination driving the tractor faster than you could load and secure it on the trailer.

/ trailer for B2920 #8  
One more vote for driving it, especially if you don't want to use brakes-but why not be brake equipped? A good mechanic can install a controller so that it barely noticable-no exposed wires, and some units can fit into a spare cubby hole in the dash.

Will

/ trailer for B2920 #9  
If the LX470 is prewired for a brake controller then you should be able to install the brake controller in 15 minutes or less and remove it when you want it out of the way. In my Sierra Denali I afound that it fit well in an area between the bottom of the dash and the top of the floor board trim just left and below the AC controls. It is almost invisible there, I did not have to cut anything and it is easily accessed.

/ trailer for B2920 #10  
I have a B2920 that may need to be transported 2 miles away infrequently. My wife's truck (2007 Lexus LX470) can easily tow this amount. I am thinking of a 16 or 18ft tandem axle landscape trailer.
Does anyone know the law in Virginia? Are trailer brakes mandatory? I am looking for a used full size truck for this so I would rather not add a brake control unit to her SUV if I don't need to. I realize I am setting myself up for a safety lecture but I am talking about 2 miles, two lane road, 35 mph. We are in horse country so I could drive this distance at 15mph.
Anyone know the Virginia laws?

I have a B7800 that is the same size as a B2920. I haul it on a 16' tandem axle trailer. Even if you decide not to install the brake controller I wouldn't buy a tandem axle trailer with out brakes. Not many people will buy a tandem axle trailer with out brakes.