Trailer hitch question?

/ Trailer hitch question? #11  
Okay so you need to tow a trailer rated for 14K
How much will your load weigh??
I tow my 14K dump trailer all of the time with my 11.5K hitch (1K tongue weight)....I even went and had the trailer weighed empty so I know how much I can carry.
If your gross trailer load won't exceed your hitch rating you should be fine.
The most important to safely tow is to have the proper tongue weight ratio.
My 2cents

/ Trailer hitch question?
Here is the thing. I weld and fab at work. I could give my wife a setup mig welder, two mild steel plates and lay money down that in two minutes she could get them stuck together having never welded. Could she build a hitch no.. Could I yes. Some things I don't care to weld though. I'll weld stuff up all the time to move heavy things. Should I weld a truck frame together... no! Can I? yes, but I don't want the liability when the dump truck breaks in half and runs over little Johnny. What I'm getting at here is I'm sure you can weld circles around me. But your asking simple structural questions. It makes me uncomfortable to answer your question on beefing it up. Its 14,000lb trailer pulling, pushing, and bouncing. If you are unsure of your decision making abilities on beefing up a structure then maybe the test ground shouldn't be on a highway around someone's family.

If you don't feel comfortable answering my question than don't. Go back to teaching your wife how to weld! You must have a talented wife. I have been around guys that couldn't stick 2 pieces of metal together no matter what. You may not be confident in your welding. I am in mine. I have welded where liability were issues for the companies I worked for. So don't place you're insecurities about your work on me. Legitimate question. I don't have a class 5 hitch in front of me now, but I will take a look at one since you don't have any clue. If you don't want to build a hitch or can't figure out how to. Don't answer the post! Would you attempt to build your own trailer I would! Wouldn't worry at all about any failures from what I built! Yep, I would even be fine building a hitch!
Thanks again for you're valuable info!

Last edited:
Point taken on the liability issues. The trailer is only used here on my farm. Just hauling tractors and equipment from one farm to the other. The trailer wasn't purchased for long hauls with my truck. The trailer dealer I bought it from said my hitch would be fine I just needed to upgrade to a heavier receiver for a 2 1/2" ball. Hence the question for adding some structural strength to the hitch for the added weight.
If I was hauling long distances all the time and not just short trips a few times a year then I could see spending the money for a new hitch. Gross trailer weight shouldn't be much over 12,000 with what I haul. Thanks for all the competent posts! The trailer was bought at Tc trailers out of Frankfort, In. Call them up and see what they recommend for a hitch! That's what threw me on the hitch requirements.

/ Trailer hitch question? #14  
Bday said:
If you don't feel comfortable answering my question than don't. You must have a talented wife. I have been around guys that couldn't stick 2 pieces of together no matter what. You may not be confident in your welding. I am in mine. I have welded where liability would be issues for the companies I worked for. So don't place you're insecurities about your work on me. Legitimate question. I was wondering if 1/2 plate or 3/8 plate could be used at certain points to beef system up. I don't have a class 5 hitch in front of me now, but I will take a look at one since you don't have any clue. Thanks again for you're valuable info!

"You must have a talented wife."
She is

"I have been around guys that couldn't stick 2 pieces of together no matter what."
Ok what's the point? I've seen guys that couldn't pour piss out of a boot.

"You may not be confident in your welding"-I have plenty of confidence in my welding.

"So don't place you're insecurities about your work on me." This is cute

"I was wondering if 1/2 plate or 3/8 plate could be used at certain points to beef system up."
Your certified in welding you know the answer.

"I know how to weld,so I was wondering if you could safely beef up the hitch I have now instead of spending more money to replace it? If so where would the key areas be to add plate and tubing?"
Draft it out with your crayons

If you notice I may not be the only one that thinks it may not be the best idea for you.
Your welcome

She is

"I have been around guys that couldn't stick 2 pieces of together no matter what."

"You may not be confident in your welding"-I have plenty of confidence in my welding.

"I was wondering if 1/2 plate or 3/8 plate could be used at certain points to beef system up."

"I know how to weld,so I was wondering if you could safely beef up the hitch I have now instead of spending more money to replace it? If so where would the key areas be to add plate and tubing?"

If you notice I may not be the only one that thinks it may not be the best idea for you.
Your welcome

Again I don't need your input pal. Is this how you get your rocks off by arguing with guys on a forum. Man get a life dude!!

I think jerk covered it. Not sarcasm.

Hey go back and check the post again I edited it!! Now make another post!

Here's the rub, as I see it. No matter how competent you are as a welder, you are not capable of getting your custom-made hitch rated for road use. Even if your hitch would hold a million pounds, if you are in a trailer-related accident, there is the possibility of the insurance company or the DOT saying, "Your trailer was over your hitch's weight rating." And when you come back and say, "No no no! I beefed it up!" that is not going to carry any weight at all with them.

Now, I don't know what model year your truck is, but mine is a 2005, so that's what I looked up, and here is a link to a hitch for my truck with a 2550 lb tongue weight and 17k lb trailer weight rating, and it costs $295 plus shipping. So if you could beef up your existing hitch for $150, this will cost you $150 more than that, minus the value of your time and consumables, and you will be good to go. Me? No question which way I'd fall.

Whatever you do, please be aware of the requirement for a weight-distributing system on many trucks' hitches. I find that a lot of people aren't aware of this, so if you are aware, then just forget I mentioned it. My truck is rated to tow 13k lbs with the factory hitch, but whoops! In the fine print, it says that you can only go up to 3,500 lbs or 350 lbs tongue weight unless you have a WD system installed. I can't speak for your truck, but if the hitch maxes out at 10k, I would bet that assumes a WD system, and the non-WD rating is more like 3.5 to 5k lbs. I know some factory trucks, like the Tundra, and some GM trucks, achieve max tow rating without needing a WD system, but they're in the minority.

Also, it's surprising to me that your truck has a 10k tow rating, but only 500 lbs max tongue weight. A bumper pull trailer needs 10-15% of its weight on the tongue, so a 10k trailer with only 500 lbs on the tongue (5% tongue weight) would be dangerously tail-heavy. Maybe the 10k rating assumes a gooseneck or 5th wheel, in which case the tongue weight would not be applied to the bumper hitch. I dunno.

Thanks Josh, I have been pricing class 5 s. What I have found so far has been $400 and up. I'll keep looking if I go that route. The trailer tongue weight won't be anywhere near the 500 lb. rating according to what the dealer told me. The sticker on the truck hitch just has 10,000 lb rating and 500 tongue. No other info.

She is

Your welcome

I see you have no posts in the welding section? I'm betting you probably shouldn't weld anything either. I'll bet you can't even weld?
I can't figure out to keep those crayons sharp enough to draft with!!

/ Trailer hitch question? #20  
I need to buy a hitch for my 3/4ton dodge to tow a 14,000 lb. trailer. The hitch on it is max 10,000 with 500 lb. tongue weight. I know how to weld,so I was wondering if you could safely beef up the hitch I have now instead of spending more money to replace it? If so where would the key areas be to add plate and tubing?

The first thing I would do is find a 2-5/16" ball rated for 14K, and the correct height 2" square ball mount rated for 14K.

No use beefing the hitch if you cant trust the mount and ball.