Trailer mounted winch question

/ Trailer mounted winch question #11  
No more than I use the winch on the trailer I just use my heavy duty (custom made) jumper cables.

/ Trailer mounted winch question #12  
My heavy duty custom made jumper cables are made from 2-0 welding lead with some really good clamps.
Good connections and sufficient wire size is critical, and a good sized...or multiple good sized batteries helps a lot!
Keeping the batteries up is also critical, which is why trickle chargers or solar powered trickle chargers help to keep the batteries in shape, and ready to go. Once you start pulling with the winch, solar or trickle chargers don't matter. At that point, keeping the battery from draining is the main objective. How you do that, is up to you.
My dream connection would be to run serious cable to the rear of my tow vehicle, with the ability to hook jumper cables to a large battery kept charged by solar trickle charger. A setup from a tractor trailer might be a good way to go.
David from jax

/ Trailer mounted winch question #14  
I'm guessing you mean four large batteries?
I was referring to the posts mounted on a lot of trucks nowadays that have a "terminal lug" which is a place to hook jumper cables to the truck. The batteries on the 2020 International I drive are tucked in under the steps, and while you can see them thru the access door, it is tight when you try to hook cables to them. However, under the hood is a pair of posts that are tied into the batteries and are there for easy access when you need to hook up jumper cables.
I don't have a picture, but might get one at some point if I get a chance.
David from jax

/ Trailer mounted winch question #15  

This mounted on the back of your tow vehicle would make jumping the trailer winch battery easy when needed without pulling all that power thru the pigtail. You would need to run some serious wire to carry the current but once done, would make access to the vehicle battery a lot easier from rear of vehicle.
Another plus, is when your battery dies and you are pulled into a parking space and both spaces beside you are in use, you can jump the vehicle by attaching cables to these at the rear of the vehicle and get yourself going!
Just for the record, my F350 does not have these, although my daily driver (semi truck) does...and my Big Tex gooseneck does have 4 tractor trailer batteries to power the winch...
David from jax

/ Trailer mounted winch question #16  
However, under the hood is a pair of posts that are tied into the batteries and are there for easy access when you need to hook up jumper cables.
Ah, that's the same concept as on Dodge Challengers, for example, that has the battery in the rear.