Trailer needed

/ Trailer needed #1  

SteveA

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
It's been 3 1/2 years since we purchased our Kubota L3130 and there has never been a need to move the machine around.
Our family has recently acquired some property in a neighboring state that needs some tractor work so now I need/should invest in a trailer.
I put a tape measure to the Kubota going from the lower blade of the loader bucket back to the rear bushhog wheel. I was surprised to see that the total length was a bit over 20 feet. Not sure whether an 18 footer would work or do I need a 20 (18 +2 ??) footer?
How large and what type of an equipment trailer would be suitable? I am also equipped for a GN since we also have a 3 horse slant GN trailer hauled by a F350 SRW PSD.
The closest dealers in central CT. have BriMar and Big Tex but seem a bit overpriced. Any trailer ideas that won't break the bank would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Trailer needed #2  
You should keep the tail wheel of the brush hog on the trailer. I had a tail wheel fall off of a brush hog on a short trailer while on the interstate. Thank goodness it didn't go through someone's windshield. I would say a twenty footer would be minimum.

/ Trailer needed #4  
Go for 20 minimum. I have an 18 trailer which is perfect if I tow with the FEL on and BB or tiller attached but is short with the RC attached. If you buy right the first time you only have to buy once.

/ Trailer needed #5  
You have the truck part down but I would want a 20' trailer minimum. What you can do is back on, drop the BH, pull off and turn around and put the loader on the BH and strap it all down. Remember you need a trailer long enough to get the load balanced and to also get a good angle on the 4 chains to tie it down with. Also a chain over the loader and BH.

Chris

/ Trailer needed
Thanks for the replies. I will continue to look as I'm not quite sure what direction I will go in. I did find out that for CT., the trailer needs to be rated under 10K (gross) or the operator will need a CDL. Another issue I need to consider.

/ Trailer needed #7  
Here we go again on the CDL stuff.:laughing:

Chris

/ Trailer needed #8  
Too bad you are too far away from me. I have the perfect trailer for you. I opted to go with a larger trailer to handle some larger equipment I've purchased and now have a 14k GN trailer that has a 20' bed with a 5' tail with ramps that fold up and make that last 5' level with the bed I need to sell. This trailer isn't one made with the cheap 6" channel or anything either. It has 12" I beams fully down both sides using 22 pound per foot I beam, brand new spare tire that matches the 10 ply tires on it, break away safety etc. and it's never sat outside like 90% of the trailers you will find.

It is the perfect size for my JD 5525 when I have the FEL and bush hog on the tractor. With the wide ramps making the additional 5' tail flat with the floor, my tail wheel is never off the trailer. Having such ramps and using them for the last few years means I'll never consider a trailer with ramps that just stick up in the air like the ones in the ad that is linked. It also looks like it is one of the ones made with 8" I beams rather than 12". After using trailers for a while, you begin to pick up on how different "similar" trailers are built. Good luck in your search!

/ Trailer needed #9  
Thanks for the replies. I will continue to look as I'm not quite sure what direction I will go in. I did find out that for CT., the trailer needs to be rated under 10K (gross) or the operator will need a CDL. Another issue I need to consider.

That is not true.
You have to breach 26,001 lbs in the license of the vehicle before you need a CDL

/ Trailer needed #10  
That is not true.
You have to breach 26,001 lbs in the license of the vehicle before you need a CDL

That is what the last DOT officer told me as well. The (she) DOT officer also told me that my trailer had to be properly licensed (for the correct weight), designed to carry the amount of weight I had on it and the tow vehicle had to be capable of towing the weight. Heck, she even gave me the giant cotton swab check. :eek: I'm glad I was all legal! She had zero sense of humor.