Buying Advice Trailer purchase

/ Trailer purchase #11  
I have an 18' car trailer. The only time I have any length issues is when I put my 6 ft brush hog mower on the 3pt hitch. Then the mower extends past the back edge of the trailer by ~ 2'. If I had a 20' deck, it would be better, and a 22' would be perfect.

20170715_123357.jpg

My next trailer will be a 24-28' deck over gooseneck, so I can set a couple of attachments on the trailer and still load the tractor.

/ Trailer purchase #12  
Closing out this thread with info in case someone else is in my same boat I was. I ended up getting an L3901 and it is ~13 feet long with my front end loader attached. I found a used trailer with two 7000# axles that looks a little beat up, but was a reasonable price at $1500. So, if anyone else is trying to save money on a used trailer, you can readily put a CUT with FEL on a 16 foot trailer. Yes, the 20 foot trailers are more versatile, especially if I want to put the tractor on the trailer with implements on the 3 point hitch. However, I'll take the savings of $1700+ for getting the used trailer over the extra length for now. Thanks again for everyone's input.

You might consider putting 4 new tires on it. Both used trailers hat flat problems due to age of tires.

/ Trailer purchase #13  
Messmaker is right on. When I was looking for used equipment trailers I found many with a mishmash of used truck and car tires, old mismatched rusty rims, and obviously old tires. Remember tire life is determined by calendar age not mileage. Seven years is the maximum life span considered in the industry. I learned a lot on my first trailer loaded use after two blowouts in traffic. Replaced all the tire and rims with 10 ply trailer tires sized to match the trailer loading plate and the axle capacity. Plus one wheel bearing was running hot and rough. I found one of the axles had the brakes removed and the other inoperable. That was more repairs. Lucky I survived my first trip. make sure you check everything. Short of disassembly some oh these things are not visible when buying. Sometimes trying to save money on used backfires when you add up all the cost to put in proper running order.

That is my first trailer experience, Ron

/ Trailer purchase #14  
Replaced all the tire and rims with 10 ply trailer tires sized to match the trailer loading plate and the axle capacity. Plus one wheel bearing was running hot and rough. I found one of the axles had the brakes removed and the other inoperable. That was more repairs. Lucky I survived my first trip. make sure you check everything. Short of disassembly some oh these things are not visible when buying. Sometimes trying to save money on used backfires when you add up all the cost to put in proper running order.

I always had old beat up trailers with some having trailer house axles and tires. It worked for me quite well.
Four years ago I was looking for a 20-28' trailer to move to a different state. I looked at a used horse trailer at a trailer dealer ship that needed a little work on plus tires. Luckily for me I asked if the brakes were good and he said he would have a mechanic look at them, like he didn't already know. Of course they were shot. So that horse trailer would have cost and extra $1000 with tires and brakes and wiring. I wouldn't buy a used trailer unless I could pull it for a few miles to see if there are any bugs in the system.
I ended one with a new one and after 10,000 miles even the new one needed new brakes.