Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer?

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #1  

NonTypicalCPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
I'm in the trailer market and am going to buy an aluminum 22' with fold up ramps. I'm leading towards a 14k (7+7) over a 10K torsion axle setup. I'll be hauling my Kubota L6060 with loader which is around 5,000lbs plus the additional weight of any implements it might have attached, maybe another 1,000lbs. Or I'll be hauling 2 side by sides that total around 4,000lbs. The dealer is saying I could damage the 14k trailer if I don't carry enough weight on it. I've not heard that before, any thoughts? Should I go with the 10k over the 14k? I like that the 14k has 16", 8 lug wheels.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #2  
I've never heard that before either but I've also never had an aluminum 14k.

My 14k tows rough when empty because it's very tongue light, I occasionally put a 55 gal drum on front edge and fill it with water for long dead heads so I can dump it and throw it in the back of the truck when it's time to use the trailer but that's just for smoothing out the ride.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #3  
You might consider asking what damage will occur. I understand the trailer may be prone to bounce a bit if towed unloaded but I can't envision damage. Perhaps you should drive your tractor to the dealer so you con load it onto the trailer thus preventing damage?

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #4  
Me thinks your salesman is smoking some of that wacky weed.
Any heavy duty empty trailer is going to bounce around a bit.
You can actually improve the unladen ride by lowering the air pressure in the tires.
All tires have an inflation pressure to load capacity chart, some are just harder to find then others.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #7  
I have a 7k trailer, two 3500 pound axles. It tows bad empty. I picked up some 15” dual wall culvert. Those stick probably were 300 pounds or less and that was enough to smooth it out. It seems like what you will towing will easily smooth it out. Is the salesman trying to kill the sale?

Last edited:
   / Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #8  
I wanted the 10K but none were available so I went with 14K. I called Doolittle trailer mfg and asked about torsion axles. I was told that sometimes over time, torsion axles change (gain memory) and get weaker. I don't know. But I got slipper axles with self lub bearings because of what I was told.

When you add your tractor, chains, binders, trailer weight, spare, and an implement, you may find it overweight on a 10K.

I have taken my trailer many times empty to pick up my tractor or other loads. Wonder what he thought the problem was traveling empty? Never heard of that. But I have heard of bending an axle when traveling overweight (like being too heavy and not slowing down for railroad tracks. )

I am glad I got 14K. I would have regretted the 10K and struggled to keep it within weight limits. My trailer is a 14K 20' tilt bed Doolittle EZ Loader. It tracks well both empty and loaded.
Orange Peel4.JPG

Last edited:
   / Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #9  
Any trailer that I couldn't pull unloaded without possibly damaging it, I wouldn't own , I would have to inquire some more before I said for 100% sure but I believe he is full of it.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #10  
Lightly loaded heavy duty trailers bounce around a lot as mentioned. Is he talking about the trailer getting damaged or the load getting damaged?
Theoretically the properties of aluminum stress loading means that it can weaken and break with repeated application of stress below yield point which is not the case with steel. However this is largely irrelevant with intelligent aluminum trailer design and construction over the lifespan of the trailer. I wonder if he is mis-quoting something along these lines.
Also the op mentioned that the 10K option was torsion axles. Although this doesn't apply to that particular trailer, this may be useful to others: I have two trailers with tandem solid axles 6K each but both were sold with and derated for 10.4 k total because they are using 15-in load range e tires. Moving up to 16 inch wheels and load range e tires bumps that up to 12K rating which often is enough for a utility tractor with loader/binders etc.