Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer?

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #51  
I have a GR L6060 also and when I do the math on weight I was over loaded on my 10000lb steel trailer. I came up with close to 10000lbs loaded weight. Now, that was with my forks on the front tied down, tractor, loader and backhoe and I also have loaded tires. I took the weights listed in owners manual not actual scales. I purchased a 14000lb steel trailer, to make me feel better. I also tow my Kubota zero turn on it more than my 6060. I have been doing this for a couple years now with no problem. I also run all my trailer tires at max psi. Yes, they do ride a little rougher. I also don't think a few psi will make that much difference on a 10 ply tire. (YMMV) Most usually when you see a trailer on side of the road with a tire completely blown out. It is because of low tire pressure. The aluminum may be more prone to cracking from bouncing than steel. I would ask the salesman to explain what damage could be done by towing empty, he may know something we don't. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Good point. I also tow with max air pressure. I was always told that trailer tires do not fail from weight. But from speed and low pressure producing heat. My trailer is also a tilt bed (meaning it has two frames) and weighs 3200 pounds, so I don't get much bounce even at max pressure on the tires.

This might be right - If they were worried about cracks, and if that is the case, I personally would pass on al. That is why I try to purchase trailers from manufactures that use only certified welders. My L4701, FEL, box blade, pallet forks, tool box with tools, 7 ratchet binders and chains weighs right at 11k. Best Wishes.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #52  
What's the gvwr of the 450?
According to the information on the door post, the GVWR is 14500 lbs. Giving me 1500 lbs to play with.

Mine is a base-level 08' F-450, but it is a diesel dually with 4x4, 16K rear hitch, and turnover ball. Hard to think that all that luxury accommodations would add much weight to push it to 16K.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #53  
According to the information on the door post, the GVWR is 14500 lbs. Giving me 1500 lbs to play with.

Mine is a base-level 08' F-450, but it is a diesel dually with 4x4, 16K rear hitch, and turnover ball. Hard to think that all that luxury accommodations would add much weight to push it to 16K.
Thats the problem with trucks....too many different choices.

I never seen a F450 rated below 16k unless you go pre-2003. heck, a decade ago they started making the 1-ton trucks 14k GVWR....

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #54  
LD1 - My 2003 F450 dump (C&C short wheelbase) has a GVWR of 15k. 7.3L with 6 speed stick. But its 2wd. Maybe thats why its rated a bit lighter? Empty, its tare weight is very light (for truck of that size) at 8200lbs. So it can legally haul 3 tons, but that feels awful heavy.

Anyway, it pairs well with my 10K GVWR trailer, leaving me a little cushion. Since my rig is technically commercial, I don't need a CDL, but I do need to have a medical card, annual drug screening and if I was to travel interstate, a USDOT number. Ugh.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer?
I ended up with a Diamond C 22' carhauler with 6k axles, but a gvwr of only 10k for DOT reasons. I had to lower the tire pressure for the ride home as it wanted to bounce pretty good.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #56  
Congrulations - glad you found one you liked.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #57  
Nice, where’s the pictures.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #58  
I ended up with a Diamond C 22' carhauler with 6k axles, but a gvwr of only 10k for DOT reasons. I had to lower the tire pressure for the ride home as it wanted to bounce pretty good.
The biggest culprits of blown tires is running them low on air. My company states that running a tire at 85% of recommendated affects fuel mileage by a substantial amount.
JFYI
David from jax

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #59  
The biggest culprits of blown tires is running them low on air. ...
David from jax

True. Keep in mind the minimum pressure is dependent on the load. A load table will guide you. It might not go all the way down to when the trailer is empty...but it's a start.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #60  
I'm in the trailer market and am going to buy an aluminum 22' with fold up ramps. I'm leading towards a 14k (7+7) over a 10K torsion axle setup. I'll be hauling my Kubota L6060 with loader which is around 5,000lbs plus the additional weight of any implements it might have attached, maybe another 1,000lbs. Or I'll be hauling 2 side by sides that total around 4,000lbs. The dealer is saying I could damage the 14k trailer if I don't carry enough weight on it. I've not heard that before, any thoughts? Should I go with the 10k over the 14k? I like that the 14k has 16", 8 lug wheels.
Maybe if you tie a hot air balloon to the trailer and try to tow that, it may be too little of a load.