Trailer question - skid steer

/ Trailer question - skid steer #21  
You made a great choice. I'm an equipment operator that runs skidsteers and tractors daily and thats my favorite length and style trailer. We have other styles of equipment trailers that have all been relegated to use with equipment that only gets used occasionally because the tilt decks are so much nicer to use.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #22  
Circling back on this... ready to get the trailer (finally). Going to go with the tilt trailer based on my research and many recommendations here. I am looking at the big tex 14TL, but am open to other suggestions. That is a 14k trailer so I can haul 10k roughly, does that sound right? I am using it for residential use so I am hoping that can cover most skid steers and equipment rental. I know it won't do everything.

I am a trailer noob. I need a hitch for my truck, looking at the B&W:

Question - how do I know the "drop" I need? I can measure my truck but without having the trailer in front of me, is that spec posted? I don't see it anywhere on the Big tex 14TL I am looking for

Also any other manufacturer suggestions on tilt trailers?

Thanks to all!
I would probably look at Kaufman trailers, they are priced considerably lower than some of the big name brands and seem to make a quality trailer.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #23  
I purchased a Diamond C 24ft 14K tilt with pop-up 12k winch recently. IMHO, it’s the slickest setup you can get. Full 8” I-beam construction. Just towed it cross country with no issues.

View attachment 799244View attachment 799245
IMG_7987.JPG
IMG_7990.JPG
IMG_7988.JPG
IMG_7993.JPG

/ Trailer question - skid steer
Nice! Do you guys find the split deck version to be beneficial? I'm going to use this for light residential - picking up skid steers and other rental equipment, zero turn transport, possibly a car every now and then. I'm trying to figure out when that extra stationary deck at the front comes in handy.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #25  
Nice! Do you guys find the split deck version to be beneficial? I'm going to use this for light residential - picking up skid steers and other rental equipment, zero turn transport, possibly a car every now and then. I'm trying to figure out when that extra stationary deck at the front comes in handy.
If you want to carry pallets with the machine it does. I have a 6 foot stationary and a 16 foot tilt..

/ Trailer question - skid steer #26  
The stationary part is great for hauling pallets, skid steer attachments, implements, etc. Get a winch and you can recover dead vehicles.

Mine is a 24ft, 8ft stationary 16ft tilt. I went with the 24 because you figure a tractor + FEL + 6ft bush hog is 22-23ft long and you want some room for balancing and tie downs.

IMO, 22ft is the sweet spot for good length but also being able to maneuver. Also, the 24 has quite a bit of tongue weight so consider the payload rating of your truck. My trailer is 4510lbs empty with 980lbs of tongue weight (22% on the tongue).

Last edited:
   / Trailer question - skid steer #27  
I have a PJ 14K tilt bed model TF 22' (actual just under 24' including tail). I added a winch and made D-rings that drop into the stake pockets. The axles are placed back further than most other brands so its not real long behind them. Weighs just under 4K. Tow with a Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 6.0 gas 4.10 gearsView attachment 799148View attachment 799149View attachment 799152
Nice trailer!!!

I like the limited rear overhang.

I wonder if it would dump loose materials? I seldom need a dump trailer.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #28  
Nice trailer!!!

I like the limited rear overhang.

I wonder if it would dump loose materials? I seldom need a dump trailer.
It tilts about 11 degrees before the tail touches the ground so not much would dump off it.

/ Trailer question - skid steer #29  
I faced a similar decision when I needed a trailer for mixed uses, including hauling a small tractor and various building materials. I ended up choosing a used 7x14 tandem axle equipment trailer. Its versatility was vital for me, as I could use it for heavy equipment and transporting other items like lumber or a car.

I went for a used trailer because of the balance between price and quality. I found mine on Boom and Bucket, a Sure-Trac model, which was in excellent condition and cost me significantly less than a new one. It had a wood floor and slide-out ramps, making it super convenient for loading and unloading. This setup has worked great for me, handling various loads without issues.

Last edited: