Trailer questions

/ Trailer questions
They don't mess with pickup and trailers around here. Back when scrap metal was up real high there was some crazy stuff going down the road. There was a guy with a Bronco II and a dolly taking fullsize trucks down the road every day. One day I saw a guy with a F-350 and a towbar taking a Big school bus down the road.

/ Trailer questions #42  
I watched a guy get pulled over a couple of weeks ago towing a utility / landscape trailer with brush on it. He got ticketed for an unsecured load because some branches / leaves blew off as he was going down the road.

I pulled out with my 10k equipment trailer loaded with about 5k of timber and had no issues. ;)

/ Trailer questions
I have anther question:D I have noticed a lot of people carry 2 spares for their trailer. Why? I heard on the scanner today a guy blew out his 2 left side tires and scratched the road and the officer wanted V-DOT to look at it.

/ Trailer questions #44  
I have anther question:D I have noticed a lot of people carry 2 spares for their trailer. Why? I heard on the scanner today a guy blew out his 2 left side tires and scratched the road and the officer wanted V-DOT to look at it.

Maybe those are people that have towed long enough and been bitten before with losing two tires. Personally, I will get a spare soon, but I can't see carrying more than one. At some point, when I have to replace the trailer tires, I may move the spare onto the trailer and keep the two best ones as spares. But, again, I will probably only carry one on the trailer. If I'm hauling a long distance, I may throw a second one in the bed of the truck.

/ Trailer questions #45  
i figure if unloaded or lightly loaded and I blow 2, i'll remove both rimsfrom 1 axle and then chain the axle spindles up to the frame... if loaded.. well.. lookslike a telephone call or dropping trailer.. ;)

/ Trailer questions #46  
Agreed that many car haulers are configured like that.

Upgrading the axles certainly won't hurt. But, bear in mind that your GTWR does not change. While you could *safely* tow more weight, you can't do it *legally* because the numbers on the label stay the same and only the manufacturer can legally change those numbers.

This trailer has a home made state title. I built the trailer mailed the size 7'x20' to the state recieved home made title so, I could purchase a tag. No inspection required. Purchased a 12k dump trailer last yr. Took the title to purchase a tag. Lady at the tag office says as of last yr trailers need no title. I built a 5x14 trailer . single axle. no title needed I had to make up a serial # & got the tag

/ Trailer questions #47  
meburdick said:
Maybe those are people that have towed long enough and been bitten before with losing two tires. Personally, I will get a spare soon, but I can't see carrying more than one. At some point, when I have to replace the trailer tires, I may move the spare onto the trailer and keep the two best ones as spares. But, again, I will probably only carry one on the trailer. If I'm hauling a long distance, I may throw a second one in the bed of the truck.

This is what I do.

Chris

/ Trailer questions #48  
We dont even need tags period here in SC. No one usually even has titles for trailers unless they originally bought it and then when they sell it it often times if forgotten and does not go to a second owner. I have 4 trailers. 2 boats 1 equiptment (carhauler) and i utility trialer. I only have a title for one boat as the In laws bought it new and i think they have it for that. The utility they bought new but was homemade by a guy that sold them (its profesisonal looking, similar to what tsc has) but no title that i know of. My carhauler has a certificate of origin to get a title but the dealer said we will keep it on file but you dont need it in this state (i thought that was weird but they said if i need it they will give it to me?? heck i dont care im not getting a title and paying taxes on it anyway. And the other boat was bought used and i have no idea how many boats that trailer has hauled and there was no title with it.

We do however title both boats and motors, unlike some states that dont do motors or do boats and motors togeather.

/ Trailer questions #49  
Here , the tag on the boat is good for the boat trailer. If you pull a boat trailer with no boat, you need a tag for the trailer. No tag on any trailer can net a $300.00 fine

/ Trailer questions
In VA you have to tag your trailer. You can get a permanent tag which costs what 2 years of registration cost. On trailers under 3000gvw you can get a motorcyle sized tag. The guy that onwed my car trailer had it registered in Florida. They do not have titles they just used the registration card.