Trailer recommendation

/ Trailer recommendation #1  

cgraham

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LB1914
Can anyone recommend a trailer for a BL1941 with backhoe?

I don't have the exact dimension, but I figured the tractor would fit on a 16' trailer with the front bucket resting on the front rail of the trailer.

I really don't want to spend a lot on the trailer - the main need is a 1300 mi drive to pick the new machine up. I can rent cheaply, but I'd rather put that money into a trailer if I can find one quickly enough. The best I have seen so far is $1700 for an 18' with brakes, rated at 3500 lb/axle - more than I want to spend - (the tractor weighs about 6000 lb.) Certainly brakes and 3500 lb axles are necessary.

If I had to take the tractor for service, it's a 140 mi round trip, so a trailer would be handy - but I hope not to make that trip often.

However, I have to rebuild my driveway and a flatbed would be useful for that. As it's a long term job, renting would not work. I have a pick-up bed trailer, but I think getting dirt out of it would be difficult, because of the wheel wells. The 2' back hoe might do the job if I could improvise a device to cover the teeth. Likely someone has solved this problem already.

It might be best to swallow the rental fee and look around for a used one later.

My route is S New Mexico, Armarillo TX, then I 40 to Clarksville AR.

Comments?

Maybe I should post this query on a general forum?

/ Trailer recommendation #2  
The best I have seen so far is $1700 for an 18' with brakes, rated at 3500 lb/axle - more than I want to spend - (the tractor weighs about 6000 lb.) Certainly brakes and 3500 lb axles are necessary.

It sounds to me like, even at that, you're talking about the absolute minimum trailer you could use. I would expect the trailer itself to weigh a thousand or more, so you'd probably be a little over its gross weight rating.

/ Trailer recommendation #3  
As Bird said, if the tractor is 6,000 I am sure the trailer weighs 1,500 at least.

Since you need to rebuild your driveway, buying would be a good thing. If the driveway is gravel a dump trailer would be real nice. But a lot more $$$$.

I have a flatbed trailer, that I put sides on and load it up with gravel, I then drive up on it and drag the bucket back to unload the gravel. Not as nice as a dump trailer but it works and it is all I have.

Gravel is heavy, please look at a heavier trailer especially for as long of drives as you have, in the heat. Standed on the side of the road is not good.

Do you have your tie downs yets? If not do you know where to buy them in Arkansas, or buy before you get there. I would hate to spend time trying to 'make something work' with what is available at that moment.

steve

/ Trailer recommendation
Thanks for the comments. After posting I realized that I had not considered capacity issues adequately. I think you are right, trailers are commonly rated at 3500 lb per axle, putting the load over the limit, as I agree the trailer would weigh over 1000 lb - I have been told 2000 lb by a couple of dealers.

In addition, I was planning to tow with a Ford Bronco - 380 engine. I have not been able to find its' tow capacity yet. (Not on vehicle, in manual, & so far not on net - still looking.) But I am concerned it is insufficient.

I didn't mention that my driveway is 1/2 mi. long. I don't mind using an underrated trailer on it, I just wont overload it. I'll have a contractor haul in the topping after I rebuild the base.I don't think buying a heavier trailer and truck to haul it is in the cards. I barely afforded the tractor. I just want to use it "around the place" so maybe having it shipped is best.

InlineDieselFan, please educate me about tie downs: I was planning to use 1 1/4" chain and load tighteners. Not the best way?

/ Trailer recommendation #5  
cgraham said:
Thanks for the comments. After posting I realized that I had not considered capacity issues adequately. I think you are right, trailers are commonly rated at 3500 lb per axle, putting the load over the limit, as I agree the trailer would weigh over 1000 lb - I have been told 2000 lb by a couple of dealers.

In addition, I was planning to tow with a Ford Bronco - 380 engine. I have not been able to find its' tow capacity yet. (Not on vehicle, in manual, & so far not on net - still looking.) But I am concerned it is insufficient.

If it is a "full size" Bronco, then I'm pretty sure those max out at a 7800# towing capacity.

I think your pushing your luck with a 7000# trailer, my 14' trailer weighs about 1600# and is very heavily built, so I figure your 18' trailer will weigh in between 1500# and closer to 2000# is not unreasonable. You have a 6000# load, so you are right at the maxiumum of your truck and over the maximum of 7000# trailer. You need a light weight 8000# trailer if you can find one. It might be easier to find a 10,000# trailer, but those are usually built heavier so you'd be at 2000# for the trailer for sure.

I would really like to offer you a friendly bit of advice and suggest that you make sure the brakes on your truck are checked out BEFORE you attempt such a trip.

Another thought would be to have the tractor shipped to you, it would like cost far less than the cost of a trailer. I've shipped cars 1/2 way across the country for under $1000.

/ Trailer recommendation #6  
If your tractor weighs 6000#, a 7K trailer would be overloaded. Unless its aluminum a 7K steel trailer is going to weigh about 2000# which limits you to a 5K load max. If you go with a higher rated trailer of course the weight of it is higher too. I don't think your bronco is rated to haul 8000# (trailer & tractor) safely down the road. Do you have any friends with a 3/4 ton truck and a 10K trailer who could haul it for you or loan you their set up for a day?

/ Trailer recommendation #7  
I find myself at a place I normally do not go: I agree with Bob. (Man that's painful)
Have the tractor shipped. If you purchase a trailer and are overweight, the trip will not only be dangerous, but will be tiresome.
You will also have the added expense of trailer insurance and extra fuel.
Avoid the headaches and contract the transportation out.
Whatever you decide, keep us up to date, and be safe.
Tom

/ Trailer recommendation #8  
I agree with the others that a 7000# trailer would be overloaded or definately at it's maximum which doesn't put you on the comfortable side with that long of a trip. Even if only 1,300 miles once, a lot can go wrong if you push the trailer to it's max. I always like to have a safety cushion. I think a 10k trailer is probably the next step and something you should consider. Of course the cost goes up.
I've never heard of a 380 in a Bronco unless it was an engine swap. Either way, the Bronco is a little light for what you want to do. If it was only a few miles, you could go slow and probably get away with it. A friend lent his trailer to a person who wanted to haul a car he bought. The trailer was heavy enough but not the tow vehicle. Needless to say, everything ended up in the junk yard after the wreck.
Like Dogeram, oh the pain, I have to agree with Bob. :D If you're going to spend money, might as well have something like a trailer but as suggested, having it shipped might be the better and safer way to go. I pushed the limits with a tow vehicle once and I kissed the ground after I arrived home.
Good luck with your decision.

/ Trailer recommendation #9  
cgraham,

for your tie downs, what do you mean by 1 1/4 inch chain and load tightners?

the way I know of people measuring chain is the diameter of of one side of one link. Usually 3/8ths or 5/16th's.

Too me 1 1/4 inch chain would be a really nice yacht anchor chain.

If you do a search you will see many aurguemnets overthe best way to tie a tractor. I like 3/8ths grade 70 chain, 4 ratcheting binders (one on each corner) Then I'll even throw on a 5/16ths chain with a knuckle buster tie down on an implement.

steve

/ Trailer recommendation #10  
Minimum I would use to pull a 6000 lbs. TLB is a 10K tandem axle trailer and a 3/4 ton truck. A Bronco isn't rated to pull that much weight, even if you beef up the suspension and put a bigger engine in the fact that it is a short vehicle it won't carry a load well and the front tires will be aweful light, when you go to stop your front wheels will skid. Most likely going down the road that rig will buck like crazy with every small bump.

16' is too short for the setup you're wanting, with 16' you're very limited on where you can load your tractor on the trailer, with an 18' you'll have some wiggle room. Gooseneck would be ideal but not neccessary, you could do well with an 18' bumper pull on a 3/4 ton truck.

Dump trailers are nice but to get one 18' long you'll have a big trailer that is expensive and HEAVY, a 3/4 ton will have a tough time with a trailer that big. If you do go this route get a gooseneck.