Trailer Security

/ Trailer Security
Ouch!!

/ Trailer Security #22  
This is very logical. They have a trailer to haul the tractor. In my case leaving the trailer hooked up to the truck would even simplify things more.

Egon

/ Trailer Security #23  
I saw that one. I'm in NE Indiana where, according to the NWS, we have fewer than 70 days of sunshine per year. While I don't know what the criteria for "a day of sunshine" is, I'm sure it's for places like here that the text on that opener reads, <font color=blue>"Operates on low-voltage 12V battery connected to a transformer that plugs into a 110V AC outlet."</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer Security #24  
If its any consolation, I have solar powered electric fencer and solar powered battery charger for truck. The batteries are always up to charge. I only live about an hour and a half from you with the same great weather /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif. When we move to our land, I'm planning on getting a gate opener with a solar charging system and some low voltage trail lights that are solar powered as well /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer Security #25  
David,

While it is, in fact, some consolation, I'd rather have read that you have one that you bought four years ago and it's still working just great on the original battery with at least a dozen uses per day. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I am, however, encouraged by your faith in and enthusiasm for the system. I know St. Joseph County isn't particularly known for being any sunnier than Allen.

Since I don't live on my property, I do have a practical question. I'm assuming there's some little solar panel so here's what I wonder. What keeps snow off it so when the sun does come out the rays can get to the panel. I ask because I won't be there cleaning it off as I won't be living there.

/ Trailer Security #26  
<font color=blue>What keeps snow off it so when the sun does come out the rays can get to the panel.</font color=blue>
If it's like the one on my fence charger, i's angled to catch the sun, it's primarily black and smooth, so the snow melts quickly and slides off.

/ Trailer Security #27  
The solar panel on the electric fencer is dark and is mounted a few feet above the ground. It is at an angle of about 45 or 50 degrees and what snow does stick to it seems to fall off rapidly. The solar charger for the truck is only about 2 inches by 6 inches and sits on the dashboard. As far as uses per day.... I can't help you there. My truck only gets used in emergencies or for really heavy hauling. About 6 or seven times a year. But it starts every time, even in 20 below blizzards( with a shot of starting fluid ). Of course, we haven't had any 20 below for a few years, right? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Errr, like Mike said /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

/ Trailer Security #28  
You can help out even more by doing what I do, and leave the keys in everything. The tractor, the truck, the wifes car, the daughters car. Heck I even leave the house unlocked in case they get hungry while they are taking my stuff!

/ Trailer Security #29  
Well; one could do that, but I would prefer to offer just a tad more challenge to the operation.

Egon

/ Trailer Security #30  
grease the door handles :)