Trailer size needed to haul tractor

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor #11  
that pop up winch is sweet!

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor #12  
According to the specs, it is a fairly light tractor.

ROPS Operating weight: 3836 lbs (1740 kg)
Cab Operating weight: 4078 lbs (1849 kg)

Length: 134 inches (340 cm) (11 ft 2")
Width: 71.5 inches (181 cm) (just under 6')

You'll have to add the size of the brush hog and the bucket. You should be able to take the measurements.

If you add 1000 lbs for the bucket, and 1000 lbs for the brush hog, you're still under 7,000 lbs.

No need to get a monster equipment trailer.

I've been generally satisfied with my 10K utility flatbed. I am worrying about the weight a bit when loading it, but bumping up to a 14K trailer would impact my tow weight, and probably also impact my taxes. And, even the tow vehicle.

Mine has about a 7x18'2" bed. (That 2" is important).

I don't remember hauling my tractor and brush hog, but I've hauled a lot of stuff on it. If needed, I'd disconnect the brush hog, and load it under the bucket.

I'm quick to throw on a red flag if needed, but I don't think I've flagged my tractor.

Edit:
Part of your decision will be whether you're purchasing new or used. Or, perhaps even built to spec.

On the used market, you'll have to have some kind of a minimum standard, but may make do a bit.
It weighs more than my TC45 DA.

The way I was loaded in the pictures I posted earlier here my total weight is 16,440 lbs (gross) and the tractor as shown with the flail mower scales at 6,520 lbs.

I wouldn’t want less than a 10k trailer and that leaves you very little extra capacity.

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor #13  
24’ works better

Attachments

• IMG_0534.png
    IMG_0534.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 51
   / Trailer size needed to haul tractor #14  
I hauled a 5065E John Deere with a 6 foot bush hog on a 20 foot bumper pull trailer. The trailer was big enough for this, but to get it balanced right, the bush hog was sticking out past the trailer. I didn't see any issue with that. Pulling it with a F-150 was a little sketchy, and I wont do it again. With a bigger truck, it wouldn't be an issue.

360156785_10230900376395618_7802058228135222232_n.jpg

360134904_10230900376475620_5476387953824184801_n.jpg

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor #15  
Last edited:
   / Trailer size needed to haul tractor #16  
My neighbor has a 7K Rice car hauler trailer. The thing is slick. I'm thinking on buying a heavier equipment trailer version from them.

This is what he has: Rice Trailers

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor
I hauled a 5065E John Deere with a 6 foot bush hog on a 20 foot bumper pull trailer. The trailer was big enough for this, but to get it balanced right, the bush hog was sticking out past the trailer. I didn't see any issue with that. Pulling it with a F-150 was a little sketchy, and I wont do it again. With a bigger truck, it wouldn't be an issue.

View attachment 869616

View attachment 869617
Why was the F150 sketchy, it didn't have enough what? I ask because that is exactly what I have, lol. A 2018 F150 King Ranch. It's new to me but I figured these big, honkin' 1/2 ton trucks these days are closer to a 3/4 ton of yesteryear but I have nothing to base that on other than somebody told me that one time, lol. I do know one thing... they are BIGGER. Taller, wider, longer. Which I don't like from a comfort and maneuverability angle. I love the size of my 2008 Nissan Titan, wish I could find something these days about that size.

Back to the trailer... I am surprised the size trailer (long) being mentioned here as needed. Also, let me say this... if I need a 20ft+ trailer... hmmm... what if I just haul the tractor with FEL, what length would I need? Because... I really do not need to haul the tractor very much. Currently, I have driven it between my house in my small town to my land which is five miles down a paved highway. Really no issues doing this but I know it's not ideal. The highway is not too busy and I could even time it for low-volume traffic. If I clip my pasture only 2x a year, that's not much need for a trailer, assuming I need to keep the tractor at my house normally. (And I might could change that to really not needing it at my house if I move my firewood business to my land.) The only other time I would need to transport the tractor is if I have a breakdown that is beyond my pay grade to repair and I have to haul to a dealer.

So, what if I remove the bushhog, what size do you think I need? Once again, I have in mind a utility trailer that can double as a trailer to carry firewood and UTV/ATV, I do not envision buying an equipment trailer just to haul the tractor. (I also have no problem buying used but I would probably buy new and shop for just what I need.)

Somebody above said my tractor is 11'2" long and 72" wide. Then add FEL. It would weigh, with FEL about 5k lbs.

Now that I've written all of that... if I remove the bushhog at my house, how am I gonna get it on the trailer if I take the tractor to my land? I have no other easy way of loading it. Could I winch it on and off? Just drag it up there, seems crude. I have a winch on an ATV, have no idea if it weighs enough to drag a bushhog. I also recently bought a winch that I can mount on my truck's hitch. Or even mount a receiver on the trailer for the winch. (Bought it to load firewood rounds/logs.)

If this is problematic, another solution is keep driving down the highway if I need to go between my house and my land or vice versa and if I need to take the tractor to a dealer, rent a trailer.

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor #18  
Why was the F150 sketchy, it didn't have enough what? I ask because that is exactly what I have, lol. A 2018 F150 King Ranch. ...
In my opinion, the 5.0 V8 engine was pretty much maxed out going up every single incline. I would get going from a stop pretty good on flat land, but it took awhile to get up to the speed limit, which varied from 55 to 65 mph. But when I was on a hill, my top speed would bleed off until I was the slow guy that everyone was lined up behind.

Braking was also something that seemed to take A LOT longer to happen. I was driving cautiously, and really paying attention to what was coming up, so I was always able to slow down over a safe distance, but I knew that if I had to stop quickly, I was probably going to be in trouble.

The last thing that bothered me was being able to feel the trailer back there. I had it tied down really well, but when the wind hit me sideways, I felt the trailer push my truck sideways. When I was going the speed limit and their was a turn in the road, I could feel the trailer behind me.

I'm pretty sure that I was legal, but I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if I got pulled over. It just felt too heavy for my truck.

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor #19  
if I remove the bushhog at my house, how am I gonna get it on the trailer if I take the tractor
You can use forks to lift it onto the trailer, or, you can back the tractor on, drop the bushhog then turn the tractor around and rest the bucket/forks/loader on the bushhog and chain it down.

/ Trailer size needed to haul tractor #20  
In my opinion, the 5.0 V8 engine was pretty much maxed out going up every single incline. I would get going from a stop pretty good on flat land, but it took awhile to get up to the speed limit, which varied from 55 to 65 mph. But when I was on a hill, my top speed would bleed off until I was the slow guy that everyone was lined up behind.

Braking was also something that seemed to take A LOT longer to happen. I was driving cautiously, and really paying attention to what was coming up, so I was always able to slow down over a safe distance, but I knew that if I had to stop quickly, I was probably going to be in trouble.

The last thing that bothered me was being able to feel the trailer back there. I had it tied down really well, but when the wind hit me sideways, I felt the trailer push my truck sideways. When I was going the speed limit and their was a turn in the road, I could feel the trailer behind me.

I'm pretty sure that I was legal, but I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if I got pulled over. It just felt too heavy for my truck.
I don't know how hilly it is where you are at but I loaded more than 10000lbs of gravel into a dump trailer and went across the scales at over 21000lbs total several times and then pulling it home an hour away with no real problem. Good trailer brakes are a must.

Now this was mostly flat N. Indiana and I wouldn't have wanted to do this in say, Pennsylvania, but its was perfectly doable here.

2019 F150 SuperCrew Long bed 5.0 V8

Attachments

• 20240516_181721.jpg
    20240516_181721.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23