Trailer spare tire stake pocket carrier

/ Trailer spare tire stake pocket carrier #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Ideas on building a trailer stake pocket spare tire carrier? Store bought types look too flimsy.

Want to be able to carry tire inboard or outboard. Bolt or clamp with lug nut size fastener to not rattle or easy to walk off.

Ideas please.

/ Trailer spare tire stake pocket carrier #2  
I made a spare tire carrier by using some 2x2 inch steel tube and it plugs into a standard 2 inch receiver hitch welded (vertically) to trailer side rail...Have two receiver locations, one on front of trailer and one on side of trailer incase load overhangs front.... Also front receiver allows me to plug in a winch mount..... Stake pockets are odd size and it takes extra effort to custom fashion exact size insert to fit stake pocket (at least on my trailer).... Also drilled side of insert and receiver so holes lined up and a padlock can be used to secure insert and a bit of chain for tire to trailer.... ..

Spare 1.jpg Spare 2.jpg Spare 3.jpg Spar 4.jpg Spare 5.jpg

Last edited:
   / Trailer spare tire stake pocket carrier
Test fitting. Good project to use up scraps
and bolt bin.

Hub from past dodge truck repair. Cast steel? Welded and bolted for strength.

All nuts welded. One 7/8” bolt to clamp

IMG_2967.jpeg
IMG_2969.jpeg
IMG_2971.jpeg

Rock solid. Keeps spare inside fender width.

/ Trailer spare tire stake pocket carrier #4  
Many of the "amazon special" stake pocket tire carriers are flimsy. The Buyers 5201012 tire carrier is well built and does not rattle. Most of the off brands knocked the design off and are half the weight.
My trailer has a tire about the size of what Wrangler X posted, but I would be comfortable putting a larger size on it. I do not think it would work well with a dually rim. To prevent rattling the part that goes into the stake pocket does not go all the way through. You tighten a 1/2" bolt in the bottom and a retainer plate takes up the slack. Just took it on a 3,400 mile trip without any problem. Not sure if this is what your looking for but it might give you some ideas.

Many of the "amazon special" stake pocket tire carriers are flimsy. The Buyers 5201012 tire carrier is well built and does not rattle. Most of the off brands knocked the design off and are half the weight.
My trailer has a tire about the size of what Wrangler X posted, but I would be comfortable putting a larger size on it. I do not think it would work well with a dually rim. To prevent rattling the part that goes into the stake pocket does not go all the way through. You tighten a 1/2" bolt in the bottom and a retainer plate takes up the slack. Just took it on a 3,400 mile trip without any problem. Not sure if this is what your looking for but it might give you some ideas.
That looks like HD carrier. Buyers makes good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
IMG_2975.jpeg

Custom made carrier in paint shop. Cool weather slows the process. Drilled one lug stud for a padlock. Thinking using 4 studs.

Finally installed. Holds tire close to bed rail and within fender width. One 7/8” bolt to install or remove. Rock solid with no movement or rattle.
IMG_2980.jpeg
Drilled a wheel stud for a padlock.

/ Trailer spare tire stake pocket carrier #9  
Only thing I can add SmokeyDog, is your didn't put a fender on it!! Course, you could have used black paint instead of the color you used. However, if the trailer had been blue then I could understand why you would want to use Orange.
David from jax

/ Trailer spare tire stake pocket carrier #10  
Looks like it belongs there !!

gg