Trailer Sway

/ Trailer Sway #1  

workmytractor

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3520H
I use a big tex 60CH car hauler to pull my Kubota MX5100 doing odd jobs around my area. My problem is I can't seem to get over 55mph before the thing starts swaying side to side. I was curious if I upgraded the tires to a higher load rating if it would help with the swaying problems? Have any on you guys experienced anything like that?

misc218-large.JPG

/ Trailer Sway #2  
Not enough tongue weight

To light of tralier

What are you pulling it with?

/ Trailer Sway #3  
Back it on. It looks as if the weight is right over the axle.

Chris

/ Trailer Sway #4  
Agreed, not enough tongue weight. Move it ahead 6-8", should be enough to make a difference. MikeD74T

/ Trailer Sway #5  
Agreed, not enough tongue weight. Move it ahead 6-8", should be enough to make a difference. MikeD74T

What he said... :D Looks like the rear axle's got more weight from the "squish" on the tires.

I had to re-center my JD110 TLB; 2-times, on I-5 just outside of Seattle... :eek: when it started to "wander" at around 55-60mph! Great fun in the middle of Sunday afternoon - everybody goin' home - traffic!!

Could only gently tweak the trailer brakes in order to avoid a possible "Jackknife" as I was slowing to bring it back under control.

AKfish

/ Trailer Sway #6  
Tongue weight is VERY important but tire pressure is important also. With that much weight on the trailer, having the tires at maximum pressure helps reduce side sway by a significant amount. Another thing to check is the load rating of the trailer tires.

/ Trailer Sway #7  
Tongue weight is VERY important but tire pressure is important also. With that much weight on the trailer, having the tires at maximum pressure helps reduce side sway by a significant amount. Another thing to check is the load rating of the trailer tires.

Thus the reason to shift the load forward. Tongue weight is weight off the trailer tires onto the tow vehicle tires.
BTW As AKfish pointed out - use your trailer brakes manually to stop sway before applying the trucks brakes. Getting sideways with your brakes locked ain't that much fun. MikeD74T

/ Trailer Sway
Sounds like a few good ideas you guys have brought to the table. I will try backing the tractor on and see how it looks. I really can't pull it forward too much due to the FEL. Also, I have been looking into getting some higher load rating tires. They are pretty hard to find around here for some reason. All of the tire dealers say they have to order em. I guess changing trailer tires is not big business. :)

/ Trailer Sway #9  
What's the trailer gvw? It looks like the 7k version, what's the tractor wieght?
Did you check tire pressure's on all 4 tires? Like the other suggested try redistributing the load. Are you running a weight distrubing hitch and brake controller? If you get into a sway situation again they say to lightly apply the trailer brakes only while accelerating. I know it feels counter intuitive to speed up but I've actually tried it an it works.

Matt;)

/ Trailer Sway
Not enough tongue weight

To light of tralier

What are you pulling it with?

I am afraid it may be to light weight of a trailer. It is only rated for 5875#s of actual weight it can haul. I think this is mainly due to the load rating of the tires. It has two 3500# axles with one being a brake axle.

I am pulling it with a F250 Power Stroke diesel with a flatbed set up...which brings another problem to the table. The flatbed was mounted too close to the wheels and I only have about 3-4 inches of clearance between the tires and flat-bed.