Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ??

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #11  
Get new tires. In my marine business we now refuse to move a trailer with tires that are more than 6 years old.

Chris

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #12  
are those trailer buddies 7k rated?

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #13  
If you are going to be on the freeway, get new tires. Also, if they are those small tires, like what I see on some pop up's, replace them. Think about how fast they are rotating at 65+mph. If it were a small "garbage trailer" that sees the road once a year, wouldn't go faster then 50mph...sure, tube it.

I purchased a utility trailer at an auction and it was as you said, great tread, but side walls were cracked (bad). I ended up getting used tires (actually older then what I had), but were better condition. I don't plan to use this utility trailer very far and I trust the tires I got (just an odd ball size....14" trailer rims).

A lot of my vehicles have tires that are older then 6 years old. I don't drive that much, and since I have a few vehicles, they don't get many miles on them. The last set I bought "new" for my F150 was just 2 years ago to replace a set that I bought back near 15 years ago. Tread was getting low (plus noticed a bulge).

That trailer aid seems nifty. I should get one for the equipment trailer....or make something out of some wood. Says online 15,000lb rating. Unfortunately, I"d end up using it for my tri-axle equipment trailer w/ 14.5" Daytons...

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #14  
I'll go against the grain! If your camping trips are short, the towing is much heavier than the camper, carry a spare keep your load as light as reasonable and you should be fine. Carry a good spare. I don't think a 2500lbs trailer with a blow out will pull a full size truck off the road. But for trouble free long trips, just replace them.

DP as for boat trailers, that's a little different. Boat trailer are usually operating at full or close to full capacity. I guess so do campers.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #15  
Replace them ASAP. You will not like the effects of a side wall blow out at highway speeds. Trust me.
If you choose not to replace them, immediately call your auto insurance carrier and max out your liability coverage cause you will need it when your dry rotted tires cause a wreck. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #16  
I just picked up some Greenball Towmasters for my trailer at Costco - they are pretty reasonable and the on line reviews that I have seen have been good. I'm just mentioning it because I thought I'd have to pay more than these cost.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #17  
I don't think a 2500lbs trailer with a blow out will pull a full size truck off the road. .

maybee not. but the delaminating tire can rip the side skirting and underpinnings out all around the fenderwell. BTDT with a tire on my f250 that let go doing 35mph. bend the sheetmetal on that side of the truck inwards as the flapping casing grabbed the body panel stabilizer bars and yanked then down and off. then it tore the fenderwell covers out.. then it pulle dthe molding off and beat the paint off that side of the truck befroe i got pulled over. 100$ tire did plenty of damage... and that one was one that just developed a knot on the way to work.. and before i could get out of traffic it let go... literally seconds from feeling it to it letting go.

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #18  
maybee not. but the delaminating tire can rip the side skirting and underpinnings out all around the fenderwell. BTDT with a tire on my f250 that let go doing 35mph. bend the sheetmetal on that side of the truck inwards as the flapping casing grabbed the body panel stabilizer bars and yanked then down and off. then it tore the fenderwell covers out.. then it pulle dthe molding off and beat the paint off that side of the truck befroe i got pulled over. 100$ tire did plenty of damage... and that one was one that just developed a knot on the way to work.. and before i could get out of traffic it let go... literally seconds from feeling it to it letting go.

Had a buddy's E350 diesel do that, lost a driver side front. And they were going free way speed!!!! Back part of the front fender got "ripped" out. HIs cousin lost a rear tire at speed and he was lucky, tread stayed, but side wall gave.

You should have seen what happened to my semi truck trailer when a outside rear axle tire blew. Recap came off, flipped around and bent the 1/4" sheet metal that was holding the tail lights....taking out the tail lights, turn signal AND corner marker on that side. Fortunately it was a lead trailer, so I didn't have to fix it right away. Had to tie a chain and pull out w/ a tractor because a porta-power wasn't doing it. Said steel was also holding the mud flap (got shredded) and said piece was facing 45 degrees toward the tire (mind you, it WAS pointed down).

/ Trailer Tires With Some Dry Rot....... Add Innertubes ?? #19  
Replace trailer tires after three years IMHO. Shouldn't be too expensive on a popup. I've been towing 10K+ fifth wheel campers for several years...tread separation once caused $2700 damage (tire was less than 2 years old). Not worth the risk to run old tires. Camper tires rarely use up all of the tread, they dry rot.