Trailer Winch Wiring

/ Trailer Winch Wiring #21  
This is similar to what I used, but I think what I got was cheaper.

Total price: $55.97

Add all three to Cart

Add all three to List
These items are shipped from and sold by different sellers. Show details
Buy the selected items together

This item:Battery Quick Connect/Disconnect Wire Harness Plug Connector Recovery Winch Trailer 2-4 GAUGE $14.99

ABN 2 Gauge 600 Amp Commercial Grade Parrot Clamps Booster 25 ft Jumper Cables $29.99

Install Bay Copper Ring Terminal 2 Gauge 3/8 Inch 10 Pack - CUR238 $10.99

/ Trailer Winch Wiring #22  
Anderson Powerpole and SB Connectors | Powerwerx specifically SB175 SB Series 175 Amp Anderson Powerpole Kit | Powerwerx in yellow (for 12v according to Anderson Powerpole - Wikipedia) is the best price around I've found.

I used 16 Ton Hydraulic Wire Terminal Crimper Battery Cable Lug Crimping Tool W/dies - - Amazon.com to crimp. Not the greatest tool, but adequate for occasional crimps. I suspect it's not any different than the higher priced similar Chinesium ones.

Also have some tinned copper lugs to crimp on for the battery post ends. Don't remember where I got them from. Probably Powerwerks as well.

/ Trailer Winch Wiring #23  
You need at least 1/0 cable for a 25ft run. You don't need a negative cable to battery. The chassis on clean metal is fine.

You definitely need a fuse at the battery. If not you'll cause a fire that you can't stop.

Go to a car stereo shop. They will have everything you need including the wire and fuse holders and connectors. Just bring the amperage draw from the winch specs to size it correctly.

/ Trailer Winch Wiring
You need at least 1/0 cable for a 25ft run.

I'm not in a postion to dispute that but none of the kits I've seen use cable that big. The largest I've seen is 2 AWG. Most are 4. The eTrailer kit uses 3-AWG for winches up to 8000#. The amp draw for the unit I'm getting will be 250 amps and the duty cycle for the motor is like 2 minutes.

You don't need a negative cable to battery. The chassis on clean metal is fine.

Yes, some use the frame/ground.

You definitely need a fuse at the battery. If not you'll cause a fire that you can't stop.

Someone else mentioned this. Why? Most winch wiring kits don't come with one or recommend one. It seems to me this is nothing but a set of jumper cables to the winch used for very short periods.

Go to a car stereo shop. They will have everything you need including the wire and fuse holders and connectors. Just bring the amperage draw from the winch specs to size it correctly.

Not so easy around here. I'll search for one on line. The winch draws 250 amps. What size fuse do I need? Connectors aren't a problem.

Something like this?:

Amazon.com: ANL IN-LINE 3-AMP FUSE AND HOLDER, /2/4/8 Gauge, AWG, RING CONNECTOR STYLE. GETWIREDUA FX322 3A: Car Electronics

/ Trailer Winch Wiring #25  
Jumper cables can be a source of cheap heavy gauge wire, but be sure the wires are are not CCA (copper clad aluminum). This wire has a lot more resistance than pure copper wire.

/ Trailer Winch Wiring #26  
I'm not in a postion to dispute that but none of the kits I've seen use cable that big. The largest I've seen is 2 AWG. Most are 4. The eTrailer kit uses 3-AWG for winches up to 8000#. The amp draw for the unit I'm getting will be 250 amps and the duty cycle for the motor is like 2 minutes.

Yes, some use the frame/ground.

Someone else mentioned this. Why? Most winch wiring kits don't come with one or recommend one. It seems to me this is nothing but a set of jumper cables to the winch used for very short periods.

Not so easy around here. I'll search for one on line. The winch draws 250 amps. What size fuse do I need? Connectors aren't a problem.

Something like this?:

Amazon.com: ANL IN-LINE 3-AMP FUSE AND HOLDER, /2/4/8 Gauge, AWG, RING CONNECTOR STYLE. GETWIREDUA FX322 3A: Car Electronics

Yes that's the fuse you need.

If the wire gets cut or shorts to ground or someone pinches it with the truck or any other accident it will turn your battery into a welder and the cable will heat up so hot so fast you can't grab it or move it or do anything really. The fuse is for safety.

250 amps is a lot of power at 12v. Lots of heat and at 25 feet there's a long way for it go. Length adds resistance which adds voltage drop which adds more heat in a vicious cycle.

Also don't use it with the engine off or you'll have a dead battery.

Check a wiring/amperage chart for the length and amperage you'll be pulling and you'll see.

/ Trailer Winch Wiring
Jumper cables can be a source of cheap heavy gauge wire, but be sure the wires are are not CCA (copper clad aluminum). This wire has a lot more resistance than pure copper wire.

All of the cheaper ones use CCA.

/ Trailer Winch Wiring
Yes that's the fuse you need.

If the wire gets cut or shorts to ground or someone pinches it with the truck or any other accident it will turn your battery into a welder and the cable will heat up so hot so fast you can't grab it or move it or do anything really. The fuse is for safety.

Got it.

Check a wiring/amperage chart for the length and amperage you'll be pulling and you'll see.

I'll try to look that up, but again, the kit that eTrailer recommends for this winch is 3 AWG.

/ Trailer Winch Wiring #29  
unless you plan on upgrading the grounding strap going from the engine/frame, then run a negative wire as well. half the time the grounding strap is in horrible shape. and usually 8 gauge

/ Trailer Winch Wiring
unless you plan on upgrading the grounding strap going from the engine/frame, then run a negative wire as well. half the time the grounding strap is in horrible shape. and usually 8 gauge

I was wondering about that. Some of the kits have a large gauge ground wire from negative lead to frame and then another short length of same from frame to connector at the back of the truck.

This is all getting complicated and so much conflicting data.

2 AWG copper cable is expensive. 25' of red and black is about $60. Inline fuse = $16. 300 amp quick connectors = $20. Ring connectors = $5 or $10 for good ones with set screws. That puts me at $106. The 3 AWG kit is $130 with ring connectors fixed on one end of black and red cables. The kit is looking more attractive but it does not come with a fuse.

Now I see why so many folks just run the trailer winch off a spare battery (which I have). I've also already got a battery tender to keep it charged and that route is looking better every second.

As it stands the wiring and mounting hardware are going to cost more than the winch!