Trailering with automatic overdrive transmission

/ Trailering with automatic overdrive transmission #11  
My 2014 Sedona, does not allow you to lock out the O/D.

As stated earlier, newer designs have allowed for towing in O/D.

/ Trailering with automatic overdrive transmission #12  
To the op, check owners manual! Every brand and model is different.

Check the Toyota website for the older owners manuals.

The trick is to not overheat the trans fluid.

/ Trailering with automatic overdrive transmission #13  
Why would you even want to? If you are driving a truck and pulling something you can hardly be dirt poor to worry about a few dollars in fuel. Especially at the risk of damaging the tranny.

MY POS 08 Duramax won't even let me engage trailer mode as I have a glow plug out (again) and the engine light is on!

/ Trailering with automatic overdrive transmission #14  
I used to have an '06 Tundra and the manual said to lock out OD when towing. Unless I was towing a light trailer, like my 12ft aluminum boat, I would lock it out. If I towed my 8ft utility trailer (1,000lbs empty) I left it in OD with trailer empty. With a load of firewood, I locked it out.

My '06 Duramax/Allison has zero problems towing my 12K 5th wheel in OD, but that is a different animal. On a few occasions, I will go to manual mode and lock it to a specific top gear, but that is usually only in big rolling hills. In CA towing is limited to 55 MPH and I usually do 60. Mine does not even go into 6th (5th and 6th are OD gears) until 65 MPH. But at 60 it does not downshift unless it's a steep/long hill.

Having said that the Duramax and the Tundra are on opposite side of the towing world.

/ Trailering with automatic overdrive transmission
Thanks for all the discussion. Yes the manual says to use the lockout when towing. My reasons for not using lockout all the time isn't fuel economy.