Oil & Fuel Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP?

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #11  
It's not a theory. New Holland Boomers had the same problem and a change was made to the filter to deal with this. Tightening the filter, heating the oil, etc. doesn't help.

Thread 1

Thread 2

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #12  
DUCK MAN,
Looks like you got your answer.If you stick with that same kind of oil and filter,id get a little heat in that garage.The torpedo shaped reddy heaters do a good job in warming up equipment,i use one alot to thaw my snowmachine,or cars etc.Make sure you got no fuel leaks[or oil for that matter]If the object your warming is too hot to hold your hand on ,its too hot!!.You can direct the heat with a peice of tin on the heater,i lay one on mine to blow the heat on the floor ,so not to burn any paint off what im thawing.Be sure to keep your door open slightly,the fumes are a killer.

Hey guys,Am i the only one whos heard of the old timers getting a pan of hot coals to place under a tractor,or skidder to warm the oil?
ALAN

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #13  
escavader said:
DUCK MAN,
{snip}
Hey guys,Am i the only one whos heard of the old timers getting a pan of hot coals to place under a tractor,or skidder to warm the oil?
ALAN

Alan, Not at all! A small habachi cooker has been used to start more heavy equipment than I would like to remember. Another old timers trick is to take the battery inside on real cold days. You can even bring it inside and stick it in a tub of hot water, then quickly put it back and VROOM!! Cranking ability is is cut in half from 70F to 20F, down to almost 1/4 at -30F. Heating the battery will restore the amps by speeding up the chemical reaction that makes the juice. But you have to be quick.

Oh, a 100w bulb under the engine is much safer than a fire. In case you didn't know... seems a lot of heavy equipment also burned up on real cold days too.

jb

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #14  
Doc_Bob said:
Some of the New Holland TC owners (40/45) talk about a winter hydro filter to avoid bursting on startup.

See what your dealer says about a winter filter.
Bob

Yep.. I just looked thru the archives and there are many instances of this.

Soundguy

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP?
Yes it looks like it's a combo of a) HyTran - not low-temp HyTran and b)the filter (there is a winter filter I can get...now I know)

So when it warms up (this weekend!) I shall put in multi-visc oil and change the filter. I might try the lightbulb idea next time. I hate to not use the tractor because it's cold out. I also hate the stains on the floor of the garage but whatever - it's not my living room.

Thanks for all the experience and advice!

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #16  
Duck,

Use some oil-dry on the stain. Let it set for a week, then sweep it up and put down fresh. Then really grind it in with your boot. Grind it down to dust and let that set for a week or two. Sweep it around every day or so and it will pull up most of the stain.

Will never be perfect again, but will be much better.

jb

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #17  
Here's a response that I recently got from a dealer concerning the cold weather filter for our TC40D. I purchased the TZ filter but have yet to install it.

Cold weather filter SBA340500980 is listed for the TZ tractors. I didn't
see anywhere that they recommend this for the TC40D, but the standard filter for the TZ and TC40D tractor are the same number so this should work. Available in 1 day.

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #18  
john_bud said:
Alan, Not at all! A small habachi cooker has been used to start more heavy equipment than I would like to remember. Another old timers trick is to take the battery inside on real cold days. You can even bring it inside and stick it in a tub of hot water, then quickly put it back and VROOM!! Cranking ability is is cut in half from 70F to 20F, down to almost 1/4 at -30F. Heating the battery will restore the amps by speeding up the chemical reaction that makes the juice. But you have to be quick.

Oh, a 100w bulb under the engine is much safer than a fire. In case you didn't know... seems a lot of heavy equipment also burned up on real cold days too.

jb

An old fella I met once in New Hampshire left his Bucyrus-Erie crawler up in the woodlot all winter. Hand-crank, no battery to worry about. If it was real cold, he'd drain the engine oil out, light a campfire and heat it up, then pour back in and crank. Gave him time to probably cut a tree down meantime. It seemed like a lot of work to me, but took only 1/2 hour probably, and the dozer saved him more than that time during the day.
Jim

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #19  
Amway concrete cleaner is good, and just about any 'alkali' concrete cleaner will work.

When i rebuilt the hyds in my 8n a few years ago.. i accidentally dumped about 1+ gallons of 90wt oil on the garage floor. After sopping it up with newspaper, I made a thick slurry of powdered laundry detergent ( gain i think ).. that is.. just a bit of water.. and enough powder to coat the entire stain.. make a thin paste.. trowel around with.. well.. a trowell or putty knife.

let set.. keep adding water to keep the soap powers wet.. and stir occasionally. after a few hours.. get 'the brush' out.. scrub well, and wash off.. the stain came up 99.5% on my unfinished concrete floor doing it this way.

Soundguy

john_bud said:
Duck,

Use some oil-dry on the stain. Let it set for a week, then sweep it up and put down fresh. Then really grind it in with your boot. Grind it down to dust and let that set for a week or two. Sweep it around every day or so and it will pull up most of the stain.

Will never be perfect again, but will be much better.

jb

/ Tranny oil filter 'exploded' at startup! HELP? #20  
To clean the spilt oil I have had good luck using cement, pure is best---sackcrete is ok---it doesn't set but its so fine it does a good job absorbing and then can be swept up just fine, sometimes 2 or 3 applications is needed or at least mix it around after it sets for a day or two.