Trans fluid in my wod splitter

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #1  

wesmann

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM 276D
Time to change my YM 276 trans fluid (300 hrs). Hate to throw it away. Can I use it in my Didier wood splitter? Splitter has a four or five gallon tank and have no idea how old that fluid is.
Thanks

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #2  
I would say yes but why? Is it worth a few bucks worth of hydraulic fluid to ruin the pump of your splitter.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #3  
I would say yes but why? Is it worth a few bucks worth of hydraulic fluid to ruin the pump of your splitter.

I would use it. If it was good enough for the tractor a few minutes prior it’s definitely good enough for the wood splitter.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #4  
Are they the same oil types? Most splitters now a days use automotive style trans fluid not tractor hydraulic/trans fluid. My splitter uses the automotive "red" fluid. That's what they recommended so that's what I put in since I had to buy it anyways. Probably doesn't matter, but wouldn't want to mix different types.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #5  
Mine uses hydraulic fluid, I do admit to putting cheap stuff in mine.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #6  
IF the oil isn't good enough for my tractor, it's NOT good enough for my splitter either!!

SR

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter
Thanks all - Advice for and against... Can't stand to throw it out. Bought the splitter way used. It's probably 40 years old. I have no idea what's in it but the manual says to SAE 30.
Plenty of time to think about it. It's snowing.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #8  
Thanks all - Advice for and against... Can't stand to throw it out. Bought the splitter way used. It's probably 40 years old. I have no idea what's in it but the manual says to SAE 30.
Plenty of time to think about it. It's snowing.

If it says to use SAE 30, why not just use SAE 30?
It is cheap enough.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #9  
Our splitter said to use Dexron..

Mine uses hydraulic fluid, I do admit to putting cheap stuff in mine.
------- Cheap compatible is acceptable..

-------
------
Bought the splitter way used. It's probably 40 years old. I have no idea what's in it but the manual says to SAE 30.
-------- At that age maybe it deserves a new fresh oil change..

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #10  
If your replacing the oil in the tractor then it is used up. Putting it in another piece of equipment is like taking a sock with a hole off one foot and putting it on the other.
The tractor uses trans-hydraulic. The splitter most likely uses hydraulic oil and it is not advised to mix oil.
Here is a link to replacement log splitter pumps should you need one.
2 Stage (Log Splitter) Pumps | Hydraulic Pumps | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com
As a comparison 5 gallons of hydraulic oil is in the mid $30 range.