Trans hydraulic Fluid

/ Trans hydraulic Fluid #1  

eddieirvine

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3940
I have owned a couple kubota tractors, I own an L3940 have had it for several years, Question i have is changing the Trans hydraulic fluid, Drain and replace it,Or change out both filters on a regular bases. I have done the filter changing thinking it is an enclosed system and filters will be doing there job of keeping it clean. Is this a good thing or not is my question, checking fluid i always do and it always looks ans feels clean?

/ Trans hydraulic Fluid #2  
That’s what I would do - change out just the filter(s) unless you think the fluid is contaminated or really old.

Doesn’t hurt to change the fluid, of course - just an unnecessary expense.

/ Trans hydraulic Fluid #3  
Agree with Seville on what condition is the oil in? Has the system been run hot for extended periods of time? Do you connect and disconnect implements frequently? Any of these implements have cylinders with weeping rod seals. These can introduce dirt or moisture into the system.

/ Trans hydraulic Fluid #4  
The main reason to change the oil is obviously to remove contaminates from the system but another reason is the additives that are used in the oil degrade over time with use. Changing the oil is for refreshing the additives as much as it is for removing the contaminates, one is just less obvious (visible to the eye). If you really want to extend the change interval start doing oil sampling, it is what I do.

/ Trans hydraulic Fluid
I have seen contamination posted changing implements, If i change implements i take a good cleaner for oil and wipe everything down to a clean coupling so i do not get and of the dirty oil in the system.Very easy to do As for oil breaking down? It will not unless it did or does get very hot! Then you have another problem that is causing that issue, So my point is I put new filters on every year and add new hydro static oil to what i lost taking the filters off.

/ Trans hydraulic Fluid #6  
I have seen contamination posted changing implements, If i change implements i take a good cleaner for oil and wipe everything down to a clean coupling so i do not get and of the dirty oil in the system.Very easy to do As for oil breaking down? It will not unless it did or does get very hot! Then you have another problem that is causing that issue, So my point is I put new filters on every year and add new hydro static oil to what i lost taking the filters off.
Usually the largest contaminate is water. Even under a roof, humidity is also a major factor.
Some think that water is burned off but what it does is affect the metal parts associated with hydraulic connections. These orifices are small and they corrode. This is especially true for construction equipment left outside assailed by all kinds of elements.
I do not use my machine a lot (35-50 hrs per year) and with 40 yrs of owning tractors that are under cover, have done well with changing all hydraulic fluid every 500 hrs or so.
The most important fluid change is the 50 hr one. The fluid they put in there is just to get the thing off the assembly line and parked in a holding area before delivery and then on to a train, boat or truck.
That tractor has been sitting in all kinds of weather and usually in warm, moist climate areas of the world So moisture infiltration is way more of an issue.

Last edited:
   / Trans hydraulic Fluid #7  
The service interval for the hydrostatic LS XR 3140 hyd/transmission was to change the filters @50 hours and again at 250 hours. At 500 hours change the oil and filters.

I don't member what the chain of events is after the 500 hour mark, but I would lean toward filters and oil change at 1000 hours.

The only way to know for sure is to pull a sample and have it checked.