Transaxle Fluid

/ Transaxle Fluid #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
I've been using 15-40 motor oil in my 2544 transaxle for about 5 years now and it's working good. (Just to save money from having to use the expensive CC oil.) I use Traveller Universal Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission fluid in my BCS two wheel tractor. I'm thinking this would be good for the CC 2544 transaxle also.

Any thoughts?

/ Transaxle Fluid #2  
Rotella T is a popular oil option for the 2544 transaxle, its proven to work well and not expensive. I have not heard of anyone using universal hydraulic oil. does it meet the spec for the CC 2544 transaxle?

/ Transaxle Fluid #3  
I've been using 15-40 motor oil in my 2544 transaxle for about 5 years now and it's working good. (Just to save money from having to use the expensive CC oil.) I use Traveller Universal Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission fluid in my BCS two wheel tractor. I'm thinking this would be good for the CC 2544 transaxle also.

Any thoughts?
I too would agree, the Cub Cadet transaxle fluid in pure greed at a farm store selling for $22 a quart! I've gotten by with Mopar ATF+4 synthetic for almost 20 years. The first change, the Cub transaxle fluid was nasty, took 2 diesel fuel rinses to get it cleaned out, now, it comes out clean with the ATF+4. It's only $6qt, $4qt when on sale.

/ Transaxle Fluid
Rotella T is a popular oil option for the 2544 transaxle, its proven to work well and not expensive. I have not heard of anyone using universal hydraulic oil. does it meet the spec for the CC 2544 transaxle?
I'm not aware of any spec's available for that. CC is making a lot of money off this stuff and isn't about to help you with aftermarket options that are going to be a fraction of the price.

I think I read on this board years ago that Hydrogear made the transaxles and said they spec'ed 5-40 or 15-40 at the factory.

/ Transaxle Fluid #5  
the truth is most hydrostat transmissions are not fluid picky. And will operate on just about everything you dump into one.

Example Hydro-gear used 20W50 from the factory. The OEM companies that use hydro-gear pumps on the Z turns will recommend their own fluid which I know for a fact has been 10W30, 10W40, 15W40, 20W20.

tuff-Torq from the factory recommend 5W50 full synthetic. JD uses Hy-Gard Low-viscosity in all their hydrostats on lawnmowers. And I am not sure, but wouldn't be surprised in that CC transaxle that they call for their special fluid isn't a Tuff-Torq.

/ Transaxle Fluid #6  
I'm not aware of any spec's available for that. CC is making a lot of money off this stuff and isn't about to help you with aftermarket options that are going to be a fraction of the price.

I think I read on this board years ago that Hydrogear made the transaxles and said they spec'ed 5-40 or 15-40 at the factory.
I was thinking they were Tuff-torq which is 5W50 full synthetic from the factory. But in the event it is a Hydro-gear then the factory fill is 20W50.

/ Transaxle Fluid #8  
Anything but the cheap Traveller fluid will work. That Traveller stuff is bad ju-ju.
indeed correct.

Everyone please be aware of,
NEVER use anything out there with the JD303. Class action lawsuits in the past decade of RUINED tractors came about. NAPA, TSC and many other store brands uses the CHEAPER ju-ju formulas.

/ Transaxle Fluid #9  

The Mopar ATF+4 works, it's 10W30 synthetic base transaxle fluid. It's Ashland-Valvoline.

/ Transaxle Fluid
Anything but the cheap Traveller fluid will work. That Traveller stuff is bad ju-ju.
The reason why I use it is because it's one of the fluids that BCS lists as acceptable. And the only one that was available nearby.