Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup?

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #11  
Guess what we are headed for?

Thats what im woried about. There system is so good we have to have it. Folks wont look after themselves and their needs and want someone else to do it. The Gov. sont realize that forces others to pay their way. :confused2:

I agree if there was that difference there would be a lot of off road running on the road.

N JT

Your off road is actually cheaper than ours using these current prices, albeit by only 30 cents or so but cheaper.

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #12  
I've been looking around at how I buy fuel, store fuel, and fill the tractor, and the whole process could use some improvement.
1* Why deal with the hazard and hassle of my 5 gallon cans, 55 gallon drums,
2*or the 275 gallon truck mount tank when my diesel pickup is in town everyday and it has two clean and pristine 25 gallon tanks already on it with a straight run from the filler down into the tank.
1*I improved my set up from this
to this .
2*Why fool with using the pick up which cost more money and time to haul more expensive fuel with ?
I have been thinking about this type of fueling solution as well. I will be interested
to read how this is being done by others.
I get free delivery of 55 gallon at a time .
I save about 40 cents a gallon .
I also save fuel time and wear and tear on my pick up
buy not haveing to run after it.
Getting it delivered is also safer than hauling it myself.

1*The beauty of this is you can get a good used complete fuel tank for like $50, they hold 15-33 gallons (van tank)
1*The beauty i ran into while building my rig is I found
some drums for 3 bucks each .
Couldn't pass that up an bought all 12 of them then sold all but 2 of them for 13 bucks apeace so it wound up that I got paid for my drums.

If you use that much fuel seems like
1*you would not want to pump out of your truck tank as this makes you run expensive on-road deisel in your tractor .
2*But if you have a 275 gallon transfer tank already why not just use it? -nate
1*The best deal is getting home delivered red fuel.
2*Should be able to get home delivery to that sized tank - with no sweat.

That's a fair question, nate. My answer may surprise you....in fact it surprises me. But I don't see it as wasting .30 cents a gallon. I use the roads a lot and don't use all that much diesel. So I guess for me tractor fuel differential is a negligible amount of money, part of the operating expense...and not worth the hassle to keep separate supplies of road diesel and off road diesel. My buddy's a wheat farmer and for him it's different.
1*That seems fair to me. He uses his tractor off road to make a living; I don't.
rScotty
1*Well what's not fair about is neither him or you owe the tax on it.

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #13  
fillup_tractor.jpg

What's a fella to do when the ol' tractor runs out of steam? Or in my case #2 Diesel? Up till now it's meant hauling the five gallon plastic jug out of the pump house and waiting while it did it's huff-huff thing to fill the tank. It's one of those safety POS cans (it was a "gift" with the RTV, as I'd never purchase such a worthless and inhibiting thing myself), and it wouldn't even bring the level to half way on the thirsty Kubota. That's when I was lucky enough to have a full can; usually it was down to a gallon or two from filling up the RTV or starting bon fires.

My genius buddy Bill, knower of all things Kubota, suggested a Harbor Freight fuel transfer pump might be just the ticket to end my travails. It's a little bitty thing smaller than an old time lunch pail, has a pigtail with two battery terminal clamps on the end, and a pair of hoses for gozinta and comesouta. A handful of barbed hose fittings and clamps complete the kit. Best of all, I snagged one on sale a while back (gotta love those HF sale flyers!). His idea was to transfer fuel from the 38 gallon tank in my F250 straight into the tractor. No messing with jugs or heavy transfer tanks, but the tractor would be burning taxed road fuel, not the cheaper red stuff. I don't use a lot of fuel in a year, so the convenience and always using fresh fuel seemed like a good trade off to me.

fillup_sneaker_tube.jpg

It was pretty straight forward hooking everything up until I got to the part where I tried to push the feed tube down into the Ford's fuel tank. It seems ol' Henry's minions have put some kind of block or trap to keep gas thieves at bay, or at least those equipped with inch and a quarter diameter hoses. Five eights hose would work though, so a few minutes work and an adaptor mated the two tubes.

fillup_reducer.jpg

Being out of hose clamps at that point, and worrying that their bulk wouldn't fit through the tank tube anyway, I used several turns of safety wire to secure the hoses in place. It worked so well and looked so neat I tossed the hose clamps and used safety wire everywhere.

The next hurdle came in the form of a too short power lead, such that the feed tube wouldn't reach the tank at the same time that the battery clamps were attached. A stop by OSH this morning turned up a remnant roll of 12/2 zip cord that the nice man sent out the door at half price, and a pair of battery clamps left over from another project let me replace the original pig tail entirely. Nice just in case the pump or motor craps out and I have to take it back unmolested.

fillup_hookup.jpg

Finally the moment of truth. The feed tube was dipped into the belly of the freshly filled Ford, the battery clamps were pinching the battery terminals tighter than a rock starlet's wardrobe malfunction, the tractor tank was open and waiting thirstily, and the shiny metal nozzle was in my hot little hand. I flipped the switch on the pump, put the nozzle into the tractor tank, and... Nothing! Just the whirring of the motor and a faint gurgling from the truck's filler tube. WTF? Two fingers over the nozzle opening confirmed that the pump was running backwards, but it was just a matter of swapping a pair of leads on the pig tail to set things right.

fillup_nozzle.jpg

This time I could hear the motor load up a few seconds after I hit the switch, a good sign that the pump had primed and was ready to deliver. A tentative squeeze on the nozzle brought forth a gusher of #2, and in what seemed like no time at all the ten gallon tank was full. Maybe not as quick as down at the local Chevron, but the only way this tractor is gonna get to a Chevron is ridin' a trailer I haven't bought (yet).

fillup_rtv.jpg

I was so excited at the prospect of having my own filling station that I decided to tempt fate and try filling up the RTV, even though it was still half full (or half empty, depending on your own particular philosophy). Once again things worked perfectly and I now had two full Kubotas and a slightly less than full truck (fifteen gallons from the truck's thirty-eight still left plenty for getting my little piggies to market ;).

A hook in the pump house and a five gallon bucket for the hoses to drain into completed the arrangement for now, though I'm keeping an eye out for a hundred gallon tank to use for storage on site. I'm feelin' more like a farmer ever day!

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #14  
Good idea. I tried to make one but it didn't work. I think the pump was too weak.

If your still looking for a tank, try craigslist. I a 55 gal barrel $10.

The only problem is the sticker shock when I fill it up.

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #15  
Don't have a diesel pickup. I also prefer to run the high sulfur diesel in the tractor because the engine was designed for it, not to mention saving the road tax on it.

/ Transfer Fuel from Diesel Pickup? #16  
Don't have a diesel pickup. I also prefer to run the high sulfur diesel in the tractor because the engine was designed for it, not to mention saving the road tax on it.

Most likely it isn't high sulfer and you can get the road tax back if you want.