Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation

/ Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #21  
Land and houses are tricky.. it depends on the state and probate..
To avoid probate, for land and home, set up a SERVIVORSHIP DEED it’s very simple to do and automatically transfers to “that person” upon your death..all ya gotta do is show a death cert.
I’ve done it and it works..
As far as stocks go, I simply put them as beneficiary..
The rest is buried in the back yard w a map.. lol

/ Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #23  
My grandparents lived like paupers and saved and invested everything they earned. A lifetime of side hustles while granny kept dogs for people on vacation. They left an incredible estate for 2 daughters and 7 grandkids.

Putting everything in a trust not only protects your wealth, it streamlines the transfer after your death. Money well spent.

What works well IMO is to keep your money until your passing. I see people lavishing procedes to kids while they are still alive and often its a trainwreck.

If your aim is truly generational wealth it works best when the kids and grandkids don't get it until they are older and wiser

/ Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #24  
Your best plan depends on a lot of variables. How large your total estate will likely be. How stable and dependable your kids are. How you think Congress may mess around with the Estate Tax over the next decade or two.

My assets are fairly large and I think it's likely the Estate Tax exemption will be reduced in my lifetime, so I transfer the max under the Gift Tax exemption to my kids every year. They are very responsible with money. Other than that, I don't look for more exotic ways to transfer wealth.

An attorney or financial planner may be helpful. However, if you talk to someone and they begin mentioning insurance annuities, run the other way as fast as you can.
(y)(y)

/ Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #25  
Wealth management advisers are everywhere, so that's a good place to start. Plus there is a lot of information on the internet-- if you are good at sifting out the portions not applicable to your circumstances.

The limit with advisers is they are meticulous within their own lane, but don't think out of the box. For example, ask them which inheritance laws will likely change before your death. They will not answer that. They probably won't even guess. Because they don't know (nor do I.) And guessing could open them up to liability. But such things could become one of the most impacting things about how your wealth passes to the next generation. So how do you navigate with such uncertainty?

Laws do change, as governments everywhere are hungry for more revenue. And targeting high net worth individuals, and inheritances, are juicy targets. It's my opinion that more targeting of wealth and inheritance through "means testing" is going to occur. California recently did this:

So my advice of things to consider are:
1. Find a reputable wealth/inheritance adviser;
2. Use tax-free gifting in wise ways (i.e. can you "gift" a percentage of real estate in lieu of cash in your state?); and,
3. Keep an open mind about moving some of your wealth off the radar of taxation. I do not advocate being a tax cheat; however, some assets can store wealth and are subject to less scrutiny upon death.

/ Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #26  
The adventure of life itself is finding one’s way. I am glad of 2 things: I had to make my own wealth, and I did it. It was fun the whole way.

I leave my kids a great start in an investment account. Then it is up to them to build on it and do the same for their kids.

The rest I will use up before I go, by trying to help others….
I’ve seen some go badly…

Friends had great retirements and cash flow… wife 5 years older and cancer several times.

Opted for max retirement income and heavily weighted on his Utility Pension and Social Security… took lump sum for hers.

Also his mother’s will left everything to him as he was only child and really the perfect son…

What could go wrong?

He gets pancreatic cancer and is gone in months…

She loses the love of her life l, 70% of their income and what’s left can’t pay the mortgage and taxes on the home they built.

She sells and moves to rented condo and 100 year old mother in law doing well on her own.

Wife lives 4 unhappy years with financial problems and passes.

Mother in law outlives daughter in law and passed at 105.

You can have a plan and still not go as planned…

Mother in law leaves most to boyfriend of 40 years… both widows since son and daughter on law passed as did only great grandchild…. Only grandchild no one has seen for many years and put family through hell.

Never know in the end how it all goes down…

Last edited:
   / Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #27  
Wealth management advisers are everywhere, so that's a good place to start. Plus there is a lot of information on the internet-- if you are good at sifting out the portions not applicable to your circumstances.

The limit with advisers is they are meticulous within their own lane, but don't think out of the box. For example, ask them which inheritance laws will likely change before your death. They will not answer that. They probably won't even guess. Because they don't know (nor do I.) And guessing could open them up to liability. But such things could become one of the most impacting things about how your wealth passes to the next generation. So how do you navigate with such uncertainty?

Laws do change, as governments everywhere are hungry for more revenue. And targeting high net worth individuals, and inheritances, are juicy targets. It's my opinion that more targeting of wealth and inheritance through "means testing" is going to occur. California recently did this:

So my advice of things to consider are:
1. Find a reputable wealth/inheritance adviser;
2. Use tax-free gifting in wise ways (i.e. can you "gift" a percentage of real estate in lieu of cash in your state?); and,
3. Keep an open mind about moving some of your wealth off the radar of taxation. I do not advocate being a tax cheat; however, some assets can store wealth and are subject to less scrutiny upon death.
A lot of tax planning out the window with Prop 19 and can’t believe it is now law…

I believe their is still a carve out for small family farms…

Holding on to family property already not possible for some I know post prop 19…

But hey the turn over generates a lot of money ranging from new taxes to the costs associated with selling property…

/ Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #28  
I wish I had the wisdom to embrace a direction…

My concern is about Mom in her old age should something happen to me so my plan leaves nearly all to her but with her health declining I’m stymied on coming up continuation plan and some family comments have not helped like I should liquidate my car collection because no has time to deal with it…

The simple answer is don’t deal with it… a few phone calls and give it away works for me after my demise… same for my machine shop, etc.

I think anything more than CD or Brokerage accounts and calling Goodwill is too much for many…

Last edited:
   / Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #29  
One thing you should know is the "pecking order" of any estate inheritance.

Beneficiary designations "*****" everything. They ***** wills, trusts, probate court, everything. In recent years (I'm an old fart, so "recent" is relative) there are now TOD (transfer on death) accounts available for non-qualified (read non-IRA type) accts. By using TOD accts as part of your plan you will avoid any probate on that asset. (usually financial, not sure about real estate). The nice thing about TOD accts is that you are still 100% "owner" and don't have to notify the TOD beneficiaries. So you can change them whenever you want. Also, keep your beneficiary designations on the IRA accts current.

Next in line is Joint Ownership with rights of survival (JTWROS). Surviving owner automatically gets 100% of the asset (including real estate, cars, bank accts, etc). The downside to Jt ownership with a non-spouse is that if you get audited (likely at death), you could be liable for signficant Gift Taxes. Example: if you transferred 50% ownership of a $200k piece of property to a non-spouse, you could be liable for gift taxes on $100k.

Then on the pecking order is any asset owned by a trust. It's not enough to "have a trust," you have to place the asset ownership in the name of the trust, and then you protect it from probate process. Otherwise you just paid a bunch of money to an atty to draft the trust, and if it remains empty, it accomplishes nothing.

Then come wills and their instructions. In many states if you have less than $25,000 of assets, you can't skip the probate process with the filing of a form or two. Otherwise you have to go thru the probate process, usually with an atty who will get paid a bunch of money for filing a few forms and showing up in front of a judge.

I agree with all of the others who say "find a GOOD" financial advisor and estate planning attorney. In my experience an Independent Financial Advisor will be more versed in estate matters than a "broker" at a name brand brokerage house.

And lastly...FWIW, the vast majority of "financial advisors" who work in a bank, are not considered to be cream of the crop by the industry.

/ Transferring Wealth to the Next Generation #30  
A friend had set up joint CD with her daughter in laws and safe deposit boxes…

When mother in law passed it was a few weeks before the daughter in laws went to the bank only to find accounts closed and safe deposits empty…

The executor acted within 24 hours of death and that was that…

Both Daughter In Laws just let it go… the money and items valued about 25k each for each daughter in law at the time…

Mother In Law Publicly said many times her will only to blood relatives but wanted to leave something outside the will to the mothers of her grandchildren…