Transmission Cases

/ Transmission Cases #11  
Are we talking about "axles",, or "cases"? Seems like a big difference to me. ....just wondering??

/ Transmission Cases #12  
I fail to understand the logic of putting a lightweight aluminum rear end on a tractor where weight is your friend. I could understand this on a lawnmower or even a small garden tractor but not on a tractor weighing 3700# as the OP says. I would certainly look at a model with cast steel all the way. The aluminum MAY BE AS strong or even stronger than steel if designed right and with the right aluminum alloy, but I would prefer to have the extra weight of steel on my tractors.

/ Transmission Cases #13  
This is a non issue, there's been tons of talk of on the aluminum case over the years but I can recall one actual issue. The 3 series has been using them for over 10 years. I would not hesitate to by one.

Matt

/ Transmission Cases #15  
This is a non issue, there's been tons of talk of on the aluminum case over the years but I can recall one actual issue. The 3 series has been using them for over 10 years. I would not hesitate to by one. Matt

Agreed. Deere would not keep building them if they were failing. The 10 year plus track record would prove that. I would not be afraid of the aluminum cases. It really comes down to what you like and what you want.

/ Transmission Cases #16  
They make aluminum cases so you will have to buy the weight you will need.

/ Transmission Cases #17  
This is a non issue, there's been tons of talk of on the aluminum case over the years but I can recall one actual issue. The 3 series has been using them for over 10 years. I would not hesitate to by one.

Matt

Exactly. And the 4x00 and 4x10 series before that had them also.
Can they be damaged? Sure...But you can find damaged cast iron cases broken too from abuse.

/ Transmission Cases
Can they be damaged? Sure...But you can find damaged cast iron cases broken too from abuse.

Good point, I pulled the trigger and ordered it, should be here in a couple of weeks.

/ Transmission Cases #19  

Yup...had a 4400 before the current machine (and if the 4400 had a cab, I'd still have it)...aluminum case back there with no problems.
I have read (on TBN and other forums) of the cases cracking when backhoes were mounted. IIRC, this was limited to those machines with 3PH 'hoes, not the subframe models.

/ Transmission Cases #20  
there's a thread on this site somewhere where a guy busted the housing where the tow bar slides in.