transmission/hydraulics - dumb question

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #1  
Tractor
Kubota L3400
OK I'm brand new to this so have mercy. Just bought a used L3400DT (only 51hrs) and I've never owned anything bigger than a lawn tractor!

I'm confused about references to the Hydaulic system which I assume is the PTO, loader etc. and the transmission which is the gearing. Kubota refers to Hydraulic oil and transmission oil but, in the manual, there only seems to be transmission oil checks and changes. There is a Hydraulic filter but it says to change it when you change the transmission oil. So are the two systems the same thing? I assume they have to be only they have different names...sometimes? If they are not the same system, where is the Hydraulic system check/fill.

I was already confused when I changed the engine oil and filter since there appears to be two oil fill points, one in the side of the engine and one on the top(which I used) but the manual only refers to the one on the side.

I'd appreciate any advice and clarification. I'm usually not this confused with machinery!

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #2  
I don't know the 3400, I used to have an L2900 so they are probably similar engines. There is only one oil fill port on the 2900 on the side of the engine, also on my MX5100. Has the tractor had it's 50 hour service? And, do you have the owner's manual? This is all covered in the owner's manual. If you don't have the manual you can order from your Kubota dealer or get one online through Tractorsmart.com.

TractorSmart home page

I hope this helps.

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #3  
Lets see if this helps.. from the manual L3400 the fill port is on the side, and yes there are 2 drain plugs for the engine oil. and yes the transmission fluid and hydraulic system tank are all one and the same.

Here is another little tip when checking hydraulic fluid level: it is difficult to determine if the fluid is totally full or totally empty as the fluid is very clear. if you raise the 3pt and loader the fluid level will drop to a level you can see the line of the top of the fluid if it was at the very top to begin with with all implements down, which is the correct position to perform the check.

James K0UA

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #4  
Here is another little tip when checking hydraulic fluid level: it is difficult to determine if the fluid is totally full or totally empty as the fluid is very clear. if you raise the 3pt and loader the fluid level will drop to a level you can see the line of the top of the fluid if it was at the very top to begin with with all implements down, which is the correct position to perform the check.
James K0UA

I can understand the 3ph affecting this, but why would a FEL affect the level at all? This is powered both directions, so in theory at least, the same volume that goes out on the bottom of the cylinder goes back in on the top.

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #5  
I can understand the 3ph affecting this, but why would a FEL affect the level at all? This is powered both directions, so in theory at least, the same volume that goes out on the bottom of the cylinder goes back in on the top.

You may be right, when I did this I raised both and did not try just the FEL by itself to see if it made a difference. I will try it later.

James K0UA

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #6  

You forgot about the volume taken up by the chrome rods as they retract.....collapsing all cylinders is the best way to read your oil level

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #7  
Ah, true enough. Not enough caffeine yet this morning.

Do those dogs know how to drive it? :thumbsup:

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #8  
You forgot about the volume taken up by the chrome rods as they retract.....collapsing all cylinders is the best way to read your oil level
Aha!

James K0UA

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #9  
Teg I think he is ok, I believe the one on the top is also an oil fill for when the engine is used in Marine applications. I am sure he has already run it many hours since the oil change.

James K0UA

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #10  
Ah, true enough. Not enough caffeine yet this morning.

Do those dogs know how to drive it? :thumbsup:

the tractor AND the bunnies.....:licking: