Transmission issue

/ Transmission issue #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
Another new problem with my '83 JD 500C backhoe. It won't start from a stop on a hill. Has the 8 speed powershift transmission. If i'm in first gear and pointing up hill - even a fairly mild incline - it will not move or else will creep for 20 seconds & then start to go. Goes just fine on level ground. If I get a little run, it will pull a hill just fine just won't start from a stop halfway up the hill.

I haven't tried to back up a hill from a stop to see if I get the same problem in reverse. I did try moving the shifter & starting from 2nd or 3rd & same thing. It holds & doesn't drift back like the if the shuttle were in neutral position.

I have no idea what hyd oil the previous owner used but I think it was a generic 303. Was in a yellow bucket (like they all seem to be), but didn't notice the brand. I wanted to switch to the TSC Renew but they only had one 5 gal pail so I have 5 gal of that & about 10 gal of the TSC Universal in the sump. Other ~10 gal is still whatever was in there before.

Anyway, on level ground, the machine seems to run normally, can run thru all the gears, can start from a stop with a full front bucket, & feels like it wants move with the same amount of power it always had. I don't hear any strange noises or smell any burning.