transmission noise

/ transmission noise
yvojoh1 said:
I'm thinking about buying a Farm pro 2424 with 140 hour 2 wheel dr. 20 hp
2003 model how much is it worth seller wants $3300.00
That price may be close to normal. I gave 3500 for mine. It is a 2005 with 41 hr on it.

/ transmission noise #12  
We have the same problem with old ford 9n/2n/8n. Lots of yellow metal in the belly pump that shares the rear end oil.

We have found that castrol makes an 85/140 yellow metal safe oil as well as penzoil. Pz'oils product is called 'gearplus'.. you can get a msds on it at their website. it is listed as gl4/5 compliant.

soundguy

greg_g said:
Whether or not it does anything about your particular "noise", I agree with Rick. GL1 and MT1 are much safer for use with yellow metals (which are still used to some degree in these Chinese gear assemblies). Unfortunately, they're not widely available as multi-viscosity lubricants. I'm still searching for an 85W140 GL1 or MT1 source in my area.

//greg//

/ transmission noise #13  
The yellow metal in these tractors is limited to some thrust washers within the differential (behind the spider gears) and perhaps a bushing or two, but still a concern.

/ transmission noise #14  
stevem5215 said:
We have a FarmPro 20hp and it's got a somewhat rattlely tranny on it too. I was just thinking that last weekend while on it. But it works ok. There are more important things to look for problems. Check the battery to see if it's original. Also, check the charging system and see if it's working. Is the green dash light on ? (shouldn't be) Check over the filters and the oil. Does the power steering pull to the left. Or are corrections always needed on the steering input ? How about the power. Does it seem to be ok ?
As for the price. Ours was $4995 new at a local dealer. The price seems reasonable if it's been serviced and kept repaired. Just remember that it is a chinese built tractor. Are you handy to keep it working ?

Steve
Just exactly what is that green light for? My book doesn't show it. Thanks.

/ transmission noise #15  
It was to indicate the key was in the ON position with electrical system on. it was red in some years and eliminated on later years.