Mowing Transmission problem

/ Transmission problem #11  
Thanks for that clarification. From your information I was wrong about the 5000 series using the Sundstrand hydro. Apparently that change was one of the steps Cub took to beef up the 6284 over its predecessor. While the price you mentioned for the 5234 hydro isn't chump change, it is low enough that I suspect it makes far more sense than dropping a lot of money into rebuilding the old unit.

JN

/ Transmission problem
Hey guys,

Thanks for the banter and info on M and D, looks like a good option if I get really bad news.
I'll do some followup this weekend, if I get some time.

No word from the shop yet.

Curt

/ Transmission problem
Curt -

Well, hope it's good news. Do you have a lot of acreage to mow?
I keep debating whether or not to sell my big tank. I really don't want to sell it, but it doesn't do well on my severe slopes. I will be able to use it in a few years when I build, but why should I keep it sitting around......
Of course, I'm also debating selling my 5234 and 6284.....:confused2:

Let us know how it turns out......

Frank

Well, the bad news from Sterling was $1000 to $3000 depending on the failure. The $1000 was for a charge pump replacement but I don't think didn't included labor. The $3000 figure was for the hydro rebuild with labor, they will be bringing it back tomorrow. He told me about the $3000 likely scenario first and I just sort of tuned out to further info. I may just list it as is on Craigslist, what would anybody guess is a good asking price? It's a 25HP Kohler Command with 350hrs, and the deck would be of value to someone?

The good news, I found a 97 2284 with 570 hours, a 551 snowblower and 54" blade for 3k.
The tractor has many well thought out design features, building on the SGT series, time will tell, but my backup, a 1986 1872 is about to turn 1000 hours and still runs strong.

I may investigate the M & D option, I don't need to rush to a decision now.

Frank, I'm mowing about 2.5 acres with the Cub Cadet and two additional acres with a 6' Landpride. How big is your Tank, I found some really good deals on a couple of 48's but I really like a 60" deck, it suits my flat property well and really help getting under pines and trimming close to stuff. My BIL claims his turfs on the inside wheel whenever he reverses, have you had that experience?

Anyway, thanks for the opinions and information.

Here's a couple of pictures of the 2284.

Curt

Attachments

• 2084ac.jpg
    2084ac.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 999
  • 2084bc.jpg
    2084bc.jpg
    937.1 KB · Views: 748
  • 2084cc.jpg
    2084cc.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 1,948
   / Transmission problem #14  
Well, the bad news from Sterling was $1000 to $3000 depending on the failure. The $1000 was for a charge pump replacement but I don't think didn't included labor. The $3000 figure was for the hydro rebuild with labor, they will be bringing it back tomorrow. He told me about the $3000 likely scenario first and I just sort of tuned out to further info. I may just list it as is on Craigslist, what would anybody guess is a good asking price? It's a 25HP Kohler Command with 350hrs, and the deck would be of value to someone?

The good news, I found a 97 2284 with 570 hours, a 551 snowblower and 54" blade for 3k.
The tractor has many well thought out design features, building on the SGT series, time will tell, but my backup, a 1986 1872 is about to turn 1000 hours and still runs strong.

I may investigate the M & D option, I don't need to rush to a decision now.

Frank, I'm mowing about 2.5 acres with the Cub Cadet and two additional acres with a 6' Landpride. How big is your Tank, I found some really good deals on a couple of 48's but I really like a 60" deck, it suits my flat property well and really help getting under pines and trimming close to stuff. My BIL claims his turfs on the inside wheel whenever he reverses, have you had that experience?

Anyway, thanks for the opinions and information.

Here's a couple of pictures of the 2284.

Curt

Curt -

Sorry for the bad news. Difficult decision what to do.

I've recently seen a 5234 on CL for around 4-5K....fairly reasonable. But.....of course......

My tank is a M-72, 72" deck with a 29 HP CAT diesel. I JUST listed it on Ebay, still really dont want to sell it.....but again....
The property I'm on is very steep in places, and not suited for a zero turn. Turning on slopes, and/or backing up will definitely tear up some grass. If you look on Ebay you can see the grass on my tires, I just mowed my lawn. The pictures don't do the slope any justice, it's really steep.

Very funny on the 2284, I'm looking for one for my FIL, I bought him a 2165 years ago, and he's just worn it out, mowing in the woods. That deal sounds great, with a blower/blade. 3K is out of my league for a present though!

If you do end up selling, I am looking for a 60" deck for my 6284.....if you want to separate.

good luck!

/ Transmission problem
Frank,

Nice Tank!

I sent you a PM.
Curt

/ Transmission problem
Well, I sold the 5252 today to a local guy who wants to upgrade to a bigger mower.
He did his own research regarding the hydro repair, I'm sure he'll get it going again.

I steered him to this link for the M&D reference and gave him all the info I could to help him with the repair.

I'm pretty happy with the 2284, I'm hoping the 551 snowblower is an easier mount than the 451 I used on the 1872.

Curt

/ Transmission problem #17  
Curt -

Congrats on sellin the 52!
I think you'll like the 2284 & the 551......I had a 1782 and a 551, the supers are great machines.

Frank

/ Transmission problem #18  
Traded mine in on a 2920 after rebuilding back in February,,, Greene County Power Equip did it for $1400 including fluids,,,,,,nice guy,,,, says they've got these downtown a science now...lol

/ Transmission problem #19  
Well, here it is 2020 and wanted to post an update on my Cub 5234D. The Hydro-Gear BDU-21L-400 went out again last fall. I decided I would order a new transmission, they are no longer available. I checked every source I could find, no one has them. It is still listed on the Cub Cadet site at $1,800, twice the price it was listed at other sites but I doubt it is available even there. It was still listed at most of the other sites but when contacted they said it was N/A. I will pull it when it gets a little warmer out and see if I can find parts to repair it. If not, I guess I have a $12,000 paper-weight.