Transport a cultipacker

/ Transport a cultipacker #1  

timberwolves

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF-65
We finally purchased a new to us cultipacker. It is 8' wide & has a double set of rollers, the unit is in great shape. It is from the Parker Plow Co. in Richmond Mich. The only problem we are going to have is transporting this from plot to plot. We do not have a bucket loader to carry it or load it on our trailer, I had to use a come along to get it off when we got it our camp. I was thinking about adding a three point hitch system to it but I am not sure if my Massey Ferguson MF 65 will handle that much weight. Anyone have any ideas on possibly adding transport wheels, or a set of wheels that we can flip the unit over onto ? Thanks John

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 609
   / Transport a cultipacker #2  
First, I think it is too heavy for a 3 point hitch, and I also think flipping it over is out of the question because of its weight. You could just roll it from plot to plot as we did last year with a similar one, but of course that is slow, but if you are on dirt roads, it is not a problem. Pavement is noisy, and I agree, I would prefer not to have to drag it far on roads or trails.

So back to transporting it. One question is how far and how often. Would it have to be highway worthy or just good enough to transport within the property? Rugged terrain or just dirt roads? Pavement? How many times will it have to be rigged for transport during a work day? Does it have to be able to be loaded on a trailer for long distance highway transport frequently or left on the property?

I would try to design a trailer that straddles it longways and lifts it up in a yoke of some sort. THe tongue may have to be removed or redesigned to quick attach, depending on how long it is. THis way, a custom trailer could be backed over it, some sort of lifting sling could be attached, and it could be lifted with a winch. Or another idea would be a tilt top trailer, that the cultipacker could be rolled onto, like a dolly.

Concerns would be if a yoke type trailer is used, it may complicate things to have to connect and disconnect it multiple times. Having a helper with a separate vehicle doing the towing would make it easier, and if you have someone helping you, with a truck pulling the trailer, it would be simpler.

Someone clever with some design skills could probably design a wheeled dolly with a low tilting bed wide enough to accomodate the width of the packer. Kinda like those U-Haul tow dollies. Maybe a twin axle with a bed that naturally tilts to the ground by gravity. Then the packer could be backed up the bed and the weight of the packer would cause the bed to tilt flat where it could be locked into transport position with a couple of pins. THen the packer would be locked down with straps, and ready to be transported. THis seems to me to be the better solution as it would be quick, suitable for short highway use (maybe not legal???) and also would be able to be loaded onto a flatbed trailer if the wheelbase was not too wide for the ramps. It also could be done without another vehicle, and the cultipacker always remains hooked up to the tractor drawbar.

I don't think I would try to modify such a nice packer with a hydraulic lift assembly like the one I was trying to design on another thread. I think it would take just too much modification and ruin a nice implement. So I think a tow dolly would be the way to go. It probably could be done for $500, or less if you could find some used axles and scrap steel.

Feel free to comment and clarify my ramblings and brainstorming.

/ Transport a cultipacker #4  
For a temporary solution, a boom pole could be attached to the 3 PT hitch and 2 chains hooked to each side of the cultipacker and lift & go.

/ Transport a cultipacker #5  
There are short line mfg's that make a straight drop down, crank adjusted wheel assembly (picture a hd implement jack with a large wheel mounted to it for an example). Would work well in this aplication, most dealers have access to larger short line distributors that can find you something along those lines. You could even do a hyd version if so inclined. You could also look at rear blade tail wheel but since they are longer you would probably have to use more than two. Of course will need to something stout enough to handle the weight of a roller harrow.

/ Transport a cultipacker #6  
For a temporary solution, a boom pole could be attached to the 3 PT hitch and 2 chains hooked to each side of the cultipacker and lift & go.

I'm going to hazard a guess that his tandem axle cultipacker probably weighs somewhere in the 700-800lb range. If it does weigh that much, I'm not so sure a boom pole would be able to lift it safely, but maybe it could??