Transporting with the loader in the air

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Yesterday while driving down a road, I saw someone transporting an L series Kubota tractor on a trailer. The tractor had no implement on the back and a loader up front. The loader was up in the air as high as it could go. Is it just me, or does this seem like a very insane way of transporting a tractor for many reasons?

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #2  
Ive seen it done when there isn't clearance. But by he sounds of it you report that is isn't the problem. Could it have broken in that position? Ive seen people park them like that also, never made sense to me.I had a boss once who mowed on hillside with it fully raised..He claimed it was the safest way to see where he was going. He was the boss so.. couldn't argue.
But yes seems like a less that safe way to do it.

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #4  
NOT LEGAL!!! check fmcsa

it has to be on a solid surface and it has to be chained (restrained) down unless it is mechanically pinned in place. (not just hydraulics)

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #5  
It is not uncommon for tractors to be transported that way in Arkansas. Typically it is to balance the load on the trailer or because the tractor is too long for the trailer.

In my opinion it is dangerous. Especially when there is a hay spike sticking out over the bed of the truck.

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #6  
Any chance since they failed to tie down the FEL, the air flow lifted it during transportation?

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #7  
There is no way air could lift a loader bucket and associated mechanics's. Only excuse for this is its just another idiot on the road.

I see the guy a road over mowing all the time with his loader strait up. I would not do it, especially the road ditches like he does.

Chris

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #8  
The most dangerous thing I have seen is a local who drives his tractor with the hay spike perfectly horizontal, at or slightly below the average height of a car's rear window.

/ Transporting with the loader in the air
I had a boss once who mowed on hillside with it fully raised..He claimed it was the safest way to see where he was going. He was the boss so.. couldn't argue.

Speechless

/ Transporting with the loader in the air #10  
NOT LEGAL!!! check fmcsa

it has to be on a solid surface and it has to be chained (restrained) down unless it is mechanically pinned in place. (not just hydraulics)
I don't know that I have ever seen a loader that would pin in place. A backhoe yes.

I have seen people keep the loader up to clear another piece of equipment on the trailer but not extended all the way up.