travel trailors

/ travel trailors #11  
My wife's deciding factor to go from tent to trailer was our first baby, really nice to warm up the bottle in a microwave. We first bought a used 18' hybrid towed with a yukon and then moved to a 26' no slide TT towed with the dually. Both purchases were from the FIL so we bought at trade-in value and I know they were stored in my barn.

I would like a Fifth wheel, maybe when our third child is out of the pack and play.

/ travel trailors #12  
Thinking about getting a travel trailor of some kind for camping. My wife has always been against getting one, want's to tent camp, but after an attempt at camping this weekend in the middle of a two day rainstorm, and visiting a friend in their new travel trailor, she is starting to reconsider. any good advice for a first time buyer? I don't want to trade up in a couple yrs. any recommended models? Any word on which companies are going belly up in this recession, I heard several are really hurting. We know we want one with a seperate bed area for the kids, like a bunk bed.

If you are going to stay close to home almost anything will do. If you want to travel and go out west, through the mountains and see the country a 5th wheel is the only way to go. When the winds come out of the south west in Wyoming you won't want to be there with a standard trailer. It will make for a very long day. Been there done that.

/ travel trailors #13  
Mom & Dad have had a camper since '84. First one they had was all livng/sleeping space together. It was a 24 footer. Camper always seemed cluttered or was a pain to make the beds each day/night. They traded it for a bunk house. Queen bed in the front, jack knife sofa, table, and then bunks in the back. It is a 30 much nicer to camp when you aren't have to make beds all of the time. Neither camper had slides.

A couple of years ago Monica and I bought my Aunt's old 28' camper - no slide. Bed in the rear, table, and couch in the front. Same problem as Mom & Dad's first one. Also once the 3rd child came along and her stuff, it was pretty crowded. We completely remodeled this camper, but unfortunately, even though I replaced the floor, the structure itself was still weak. Should've passed on this camper, but I thought I knew it because it was my Aunt's and I didn't look it over close enough. So like has been mentioned before, check the ceiling, walls, & FLOOR.

So finally in June we started looking pretty seriously for campers. Wife insisted she didn't want to spend more than $10k. Problem was she wanted "everything" and didn't want a little camper. We looked at a bunch of campers and I read on a lot of camper forums and talked to several people. For the price points, it is hard to beat a Jayco. They have several different quality/price points. We ended up with a 2009 Jayco JayFlight G2 32BHDS. Jayco 2010 We were able to negotiate a pretty good price because we were at the end of the model year, but more than double of our original $10k "budget". One of the things we liked about it was a 2 year warranty vs. the typical 1. They also had in our opinion a "nicer" overall appearance and seemed to be made just a touch better. Also included a few niceties that others charge extra for including a power awning (still not 100% sold on that one though). We've so far used it 1 weekend and took 1 9 day trip with it. We are also going to use it for a weekend again in a couple of weeks. Now with that being said, we bought too much trailer for our tow vehicle. This trailer is 8,000 empty. Probably close to 9,500 or more loaded. I'm towing it with a '99 Chevy Silverado 1500 ECSB 4x4 w/ 5.3 & 3.73 gears. I won't win any races, but on the 9 day trip we took the camper to Lake Cumberland (about 250 miles each way) w/o any issues. I have changed the springs on the truck to a set of springs off a 2500. That helped a lot, I also updated my weight distribution system. I did have a 7500/750 set and updated it to a 12,000/1,200 set. Did that before I ever left the dealer's lot because the 750s had too much "arch" in them and I knew they weren't heavy duty enough for the load. When we upgrade the truck in a year or 2, we will probably make the leap to a 3500 SRW (Hopefully Duraxmax/Allison combo) as if we were to haul any firewood or anything at all in the bed, I could still be overloading a 2500 quite easily.

BTW, the slides and the rear bedroom made a world of difference. Just seems like so much more room inside. Nice for those days when you are stuck inside because of the rain. We also bumped our AC from the typical 13.5 BTU unit to a 15k for $143. If it gets hot, it does a better job at keeping up. Was nice at the Lake when the humidity was really high.

Someone else mentioned the bathroom. Ah yes, that is important. We ruled a few out because of the size of the bathroom. Ours is actually a pretty good sized bathroom as it has a door to the outside. That makes it really nice at the honey station. Also make sure it is a straight shot to the tank from the toilet. This can be an issue since you aren't using much water to flush.

Depending on how you are going to use it, may want to look for heated/enclosed underbellies. Our Jayco has it, but really isn't considered a 4-seasons camper. More of 3 season. Some like Artic Fox are more considered for 4 season camping.

/ travel trailors #14  
Oh come on Buckeyefarmer! You don't want to do the old Army S--t, shower and shave all at the same time?:D Stool/shower combo would get it done!:D

No, really all good forms of input here. I've had two, a 1975 class C MH and a horse trailer with living quarters (living quarters was an overstatement!) and they both were an experience. The motorhome was "nastalgic" shag carpet, Avacado green appliances, "groovey" interior.....leaking air conditioner, bad gas valve on water heater, .....I think you get my drift.:D
Basically, the best two days of owning it were the day I bought it and the day I sold it!:D

Horse trailer: Needed more room and yes had the "shower/stool combo"= better than 'nuttin! Needed more room even for the two of us and if the grand chillin's came along I got serious closterphobia!

Anyway, I think you're smart in wanting to buy what you want and need, in the first place. I'd say whatever fits your needs, budget, hauling capabilities, application (rough backwoods or RV grounds), 12V or 110, generator or not, drive it or pull it, grandkids or not, bigger is definately not always better, etc....

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID, TAKE THE LITTLE LADY ALONG AND GET HER WHAT SHE WANTS BECAUSE "IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY, NOBODY'S HAPPY"!!:eek::D:D

Jay

/ travel trailors
I have looked (online) at the Jayco's. That's the brand our friends have. What do the letters in the model numbers mean? BHDS, I assume the S is for slider, but then I saw one that didn't have the slide. RK seems to be a rear kitchen area.
I would want to take it west. We have been west the last 3 yrs, would like to drive and camp instead of all the hotels, so appreciate the wind comments. Yesterday I saw a bunch of 5th wheels returning from weekend camping, and it was really windy, so I wondered how they pulled in the wind.
My wifes latest comments is keep it small, like a hybrid popup of some sort. I haven't really looked at them yet.
I don't really want one that is so big I need to upgrade my truck, although I already wish I had gotten the diesel :)

/ travel trailors #17  
i think you should also look at the water/wast water capacity. you don't want to get a trailer that you can only stay out a day and a half and go dump or fill up with potable water. i would get one with largest tanks possible.

also try out the beds. not just the master bed, try the bunk beds or what ever other beds there might be. i stayed in a camper last year where i could not lay strait. i had to curl up because my head and feet touched walls.(i'm 6'2")

good luck and enjoy the outdoors
brian

/ travel trailors #18  
I have looked (online) at the Jayco's. That's the brand our friends have. What do the letters in the model numbers mean? BHDS, I assume the S is for slider, but then I saw one that didn't have the slide. RK seems to be a rear kitchen area.
I would want to take it west. We have been west the last 3 yrs, would like to drive and camp instead of all the hotels, so appreciate the wind comments. Yesterday I saw a bunch of 5th wheels returning from weekend camping, and it was really windy, so I wondered how they pulled in the wind.
My wifes latest comments is keep it small, like a hybrid popup of some sort. I haven't really looked at them yet.
I don't really want one that is so big I need to upgrade my truck, although I already wish I had gotten the diesel :)

BHDS - Bunk House Dual Slide.

RB - Rear Bath

RK - Rear Kitchen

FK - Front Kitchen

RL - Rear Living

FL - Front Living

That is all I can think of right now.

/ travel trailors #19  
i think you should also look at the water/wast water capacity. you don't want to get a trailer that you can only stay out a day and a half and go dump or fill up with potable water. i would get one with largest tanks possible.

also try out the beds. not just the master bed, try the bunk beds or what ever other beds there might be. i stayed in a camper last year where i could not lay strait. i had to curl up because my head and feet touched walls.(i'm 6'2")

good luck and enjoy the outdoors
brian

Brian brings up some good points,I didnt know much when i bought my TT,but if you plan on doing any dry camping the tanks are very important! It turns out by luck that my sunnybrook is well equipped for boondocking,with 50 gallons fresh water,its 50 gal back tank and twin 34 gal grey tanks.You dont realize how much water you use until you have ot pump it,and store it,and handle it all.......I wouldnt even consider a trailer without 50 gal frsh/50 gal of grey water unless you are never leaving an rv park w full hookup.

/ travel trailors #20  
My advice is to go for quality over quantity...scrutinize throughly...even the minor details...trailers that go for $1000 per foot (new) are mostly junk made with lousy materials and are slapped together.