Traveller/TSC oil

/ Traveller/TSC oil #51  
Warren Distribution was the supplier of Traveller hydraulic fluid, but Tractor Supply has reportedly decided to go with Cross Oil -- the maker of Xtreme, that cheap stuff in the yellow bucket. Be careful. The quality going forward is likely to be less than what it has been.

Last edited:
   / Traveller/TSC oil #52  
remember extreme is in 2 ( at least ) formulations. one for cold weather and one not.. ( the REAL cheap one) tha can be seen for 20$ / 5g

/ Traveller/TSC oil #53  
I always thought Coastal is the cheapest non graded stuff you could find. What is the brand of T.H. fluid that they make?

/ Traveller/TSC oil #54  
I thought Coastal at Autozone etc was a Warren brand. Maybe the same thing as TSC Traveller label until recently. Anybody know???

And another, unrelated comment re oil: Now that the sulfur is out of the fuel doesn't this extend oil life before it becomes corrosive? Assuming an application where there isn't dust or water contamination, it seems to me that drain intervals on old equipment could be longer than what was specified back in the high-sulfur era. Do we have any petroleum engineers on board familiar with this issue?

/ Traveller/TSC oil #55  
I thought Coastal at Autozone etc was a Warren brand. Maybe the same thing as TSC Traveller label until recently. Anybody know???

And another, unrelated comment re oil: Now that the sulfur is out of the fuel doesn't this extend oil life before it becomes corrosive? Assuming an application where there isn't dust or water contamination, it seems to me that drain intervals on old equipment could be longer than what was specified back in the high-sulfur era. Do we have any petroleum engineers on board familiar with this issue?

On my 3930, the OCI was spec'd for max 0.5% sulphur. Factory manual says to cut OCI in half for sulphur content between 0.5% and 1.0%. Between 1.0% and 1.3% OCI was 1/4 of normal.

Rgds, D.

/ Traveller/TSC oil #56  
On my 3930, the OCI was spec'd for max 0.5% sulphur. Factory manual says to cut OCI in half for sulphur content between 0.5% and 1.0%. Between 1.0% and 1.3% OCI was 1/4 of normal.

Rgds, D.
Wow. And the US EPA standard is now much lower than that. (I assume Canada is similar). Wikipedia:
The allowable sulfur content for ULSD (15 ppm) is much lower than the previous U.S. on-highway standard for low sulfur diesel (LSD, 500 ppm)
Looks to me that sulfur contamination of the oil is no longer a consideration for OCI; the recommended interval now depends on other factors.

/ Traveller/TSC oil #57  
i'd take coastal over accell

/ Traveller/TSC oil #58  
A good friend had an engine failure about 15 years ago on a new awd IH. He was using Quaker State oil. The tractor was still under warranty. A spectroscopic analysis was done on the oil and it revealed a failure of the oil. Quaker State bought a new engine and paid for labor. He has used Mobil Synthetic since.

/ Traveller/TSC oil
I've started experimenting with Amsoil. So far so good.

/ Traveller/TSC oil #60  
probably a real safe bet.. aside from the hole in the wallet.