Tread Cutting Oil

/ Tread Cutting Oil #22  
naptha can be a lube too.. or a fuel.. or a solvent...

i don't know if thats really the case... pretty sure naptha is highly volatile, and causes serious respiratory problems, even in small doses.

you can easily find plenty of information by googling naptha or chemical pneumonia.

i have been sick from naptha/benzene exposure on numerous occasions... it's a fairly common leak in an oil/tar sands facility. it makes you really, really sick. you do get pneumonia such that you can hardly breath, then you start coughing so bad you get scared that a blood vessel or something is going to let go in your skull.

far as calling any liquid a lubricant, i guess that's technically correct to a certain extent... but if you want a door hinge to swing free for any length of time, forget the wd40... use 3n1 or something that is actually oil.:)

far as diesel lubed IP's... i don't know what you mean.:confused:

unless you are talking about injector pumps, in which case the newer low sulphur diesel is presenting problems that are also quite widely known.

I find Gibson's 12 year works best

yes, i am familiar with that process:D

/ Tread Cutting Oil #23  
...if you want a door hinge to swing free for any length of time...

I recommend bee's wax on (door) hinge pins... candle wax or bar soap is OK too...

/ Tread Cutting Oil #24  
i don't know if thats really the case... pretty sure naptha is highly volatile, and causes serious respiratory problems, even in small doses.

what does any of that have to do with naptha as a fuel or solvent????????????

looked at lighter fluid lately?

gas turbin alternative fuels?

major constituant in silicone sprays?

napatha...

soundguy

/ Tread Cutting Oil #25  
looked at lighter fluid lately?

major constituant in silicone sprays?

hold a lighter up to a spray can lately?:laughing:

I recommend bee's wax on (door) hinge pins... candle wax or bar soap is OK too...

at first i was going to say 'well, how do you pour the beeswax in the joint', but i guess its simple enough to pull the pin. that actually sounds like a pretty good idea... no muss no fuss. the hinge probably stiffens up when it gets cold though?

/ Tread Cutting Oil #26  
hold a lighter up to a spray can lately?:laughing:

?

again ??? proving what? naptha burns.. already knew that....

soundguy

/ Tread Cutting Oil #27  
again ??? proving what? naptha burns.. already knew that....

i think the point has been made... not necessarily a good idea to use naptha as a lubricant. :)

back to the wd40 thing that started this, and the fact that wd40 is really not a lubricant... if you don't believe me, just ask a machinist.

/ Tread Cutting Oil #28  
sulflo works quite well also.

btw, wd40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. if you are determined to use that because it's cheap, then maybe you would be better off to use diesel... it's basically the same thing and cheaper yet.:thumbsup:

Yeah, but using WD-40 for a cutting fluid for aluminum is the only thing it's good for! :D

/ Tread Cutting Oil #29  
i think the point has been made... not necessarily a good idea to use naptha as a lubricant. :)

back to the wd40 thing that started this, and the fact that wd40 is really not a lubricant... if you don't believe me, just ask a machinist.

Ahh.. the red herring.

no problem. I was tired of discussing it anyway.. was weird posting a point then have a non related point put in place of a counterpoint.

remember.. on a number line from 0 to 1, you can keep cutting 1 in half forever and never reach 0. I nev er said naptha was a great lubricant. just that it did have some lube properties.. as do many other chemicals. All depends on application. Many things where many hats. byproduct, solvent, fuel, etc.. etc..

for the record I never mentioned wd40...

soundguy