Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig.

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig. #21  
Just a question. Is it against the law in Ohio to have a tree auction before 7:18 am? Did I read the flyer correctly, Auction starts at 7:19 am, that just sounds strange.

BucketHoe

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig. #22  
Fug1000 said:
Trees are rated according to the zones they thrive in. Every tree I bought last weekend had a ZONE 5-9 rating meaning they would do good in any of the zones 5 thru 9 (5 is Mich. 9 is FLA.)
Here is a tree zone map. Tree Zone : TreeLink : The Urban Forestry Portal

From what I understand, it matters not where you get it, as long as the species you choose is rated for your zone, you will be good to go.

And keep in mind that the zones should be changing. I was listening to an interview with a guy who was involved in setting up those zones back in the 60's. He works for something like the National Audobon Society, or National Gardening Association. I can't remember. Anyway, he said they did a fairly major new study starting in the late 90's into the early 2000s. The research showed that virtually every zone needed to be modified due to warmer temperatures (he did not, and I am not, suggesting this is due to global warming). Anyway, he also said their research was deep-sixed by the Bush Administration (funding was from the federal government), and they were trying to get permission to just use the research for private studies. They hadn't had any success as of the time of the interview (last fall). This is consistent with what I've been finding. Over the past 15 years, I have planted no less than 75-100 shrubs and trees, maybe half of which are rated for Zone 5, even though I live squarely in Zone 4. Not one of them died after several winters due to the cold. Maybe this is a fluke, but given what this guy said, its not.

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig.
BucketHoe said:
Just a question. Is it against the law in Ohio to have a tree auction before 7:18 am? Did I read the flyer correctly, Auction starts at 7:19 am, that just sounds strange.

BucketHoe

Well it's not against the law but maybe it's against the auctioneers schedule or something.
The one I went to last week started at 10:20 but it was supposed to start at 10 but they decided to wait a few minutes for the stragglers to show up.

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig. #24  
Fug1000,

If they don't start the auction until 7:19 am, then the stragglers have won. If you post the start time as 7:19 am, now the stragglers won't show up until 7:39 and then what will we do.:D

Actually, I have never been to a tree auction, but it sounds like something that I may want to go to. I noticed they won't let you load the day of the sale, so I guess I could take the motorhome and an open trailer and just wait there and load whatever I buy the next day.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

BucketHoe

I know the one advertised in the flyer I posted won't let you load on the day of the sale. They are trying to keep track of 10's of thousands of trees so I guess that's understandable.

The auction I just went to last week was a different nursery though. I would guess maybe 1 thousand trees, if that.

We were able to load as soon as the auction finished.

So I guess my point is, it will vary from auction to auction...not only the load policies but the straggler start times too! :D

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig. #26  
Fug1000 said:
Great! I'll see ya there in September! I will be wearing my Kubota hat!

I went and picked up the 24inch bit from my dealer today. Man is it nice. It's made by Bushhog, it has double digging changeable blades (10 total) and weighs in at about 150 pounds. Can't wait to get at it. I will report back with results and hopefully pictures soon.

My wife, out of the blue, mentioned this trip yesterday so I thought I'd revisit the thread to see if any updates.

You still gonna be there in Sept?

Got any pics from your 24in and the trees you had to put in?

Michael

Yes I have some...... I am still working on all the trees. I have a lot of pics to resize and I will post them when I get this job finished.

Here's a teaser..not all of the tree digging but the lower right and upper left ones are and in those you can see the 24 ich bit.

many.jpg

Yes I will be there at the auction but I got to tell you....41 trees with 24-36 inch burlap balls is a job.

The 24 inch auger works good, I have only broken 3 sheer bolts so far but while it digs good on one side of the yard, the other side is another story.

The procedure has been, mark the spot....dig with 24inch bit..usually I will only be able to get 6 inches to 1 foot deep on the hard side of the yard. I have no down pressure and I have no weights on the PHD so I'm not too surprised, 24 inch augers are huge as you can see.

So what I do is after I have dug as deep as I can go, I fill the hole with water and come back the next day. The next day it cuts like butter and I'm off to mark the next tree. I still have 10 out of 41 to plant!

Be prepared to work! But they sure look nice when done.

Oh and the recipe for success according to the tree guy that delivered them
is as follows.

Dig the hole about 3-5 inches deeper than the ball is high.
Fill the bottom 3-5 inches with HORSE manure not cow (I don't know why..can anyone explain?)
Fill that with water so the manure is completely covered.
Insert tree in hole.
You want the top of the ball to be level with the earth around it. The tree guy said the number one mistake people make planting trees like this is to plant them too deep.
The balls are approx 24 to 30 inches tall.
Surround the tree with dirt, fill it in making a mound to the trunk.
Cover that with mulch.
Soak tree and mulch with water.
Water daily if conditions are dry for one hour with a trickle of water at the base of the trunk..you want to keep the ball under the earth moist.

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig. #28  
Great info and pics! Hope to see and hear more as you finish up!

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig. #29  
Boy, am I glad this thread got revived! Brown's is about 4 miles from my in-laws home in Arcanum, and their 60th wedding anniversary celebration is on the 9th. Now, how do I explain to the wife that we have to drag our trailer to the folk's celebration?

/ Tree Auction....opps! Now I got a LOT of holes to dig. #30  
Isn't the hole supposed to be 3 times wider than the root ball? We had our trees done with a Bobcat and BH. Even a 24" auger would not have been big enough for the 5-6' Norway Spruce trees we had put in.