Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
On my tractor the rops are in front of the driver. Great idea except in trees. Saturday I was looking to my left when a branch on one of our apple trees hung on the rops on the right. Of course when I turned it released and thankfully missed my eye but got me from the nose across the cheekbone. It was a baseball bat sized limb and I saw good stars, but could telli skated with nothing broken. Well. That night it started to swell. I figured no big deal. This morning, with both eyes nearly closed up I got a trip to the doctor. The surprise is that it was an allergic reaction to something on the bark. mold, moss, whatever. 5 day treatment of prednisone and I will be right as rain.

Carl

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #2  
Hi Carl

You have experienced what I consider one of the most dangerous situations....It almost happens to me yearly, and the last time I was just pushing good sized Myrtles.....I looked down and a large branch was just about to break from where it had been pushed back almost like a baseball bat...It would have broken my arm for sure......I`m happy you wern`t blinded or worse....Tony

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #3  
Himm, I wonder if that could explain what happened to the missus. She ran into a tree limb that smacked her in the glasses. She said it didn't hit her face, but she had stuff from the branch all over her glasses. She has had one eye and eyelid swollen up and red like she got smacked (no I didn't). She did take benadryl and she said it feels better, but I can't take her out in public or I may be answering questions from the man...:ashamed:

Glad you weren't hurt worse.

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #4  
That reminds me of a near miss a couple weeks ago -- had a choker chain pop loose from a log due to a tangled branch, and the branch and chain did a slingshot right at my face -- double whammy of wood and metal. Like you, I saw stars. I was wearing my metal logging helmet and safety glasses, which probably kept me from really getting hurt.

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #5  
The reaction almost sounds like a case of Poison Ivy. A few years back, I was trimming up some branches and cutting up some downed limbs, and apparently wiped the sweat off my face with my gloved hand. WRONG!

Had to do the predizone dosepac routine, which works very well compared to the old treatment methods we used when I was a kid. I guess I'm lucky that it was the first time I'd had Poison Ivy in many years. Not a lot of fun.

In any case, this thread reminds me to be more careful when driving around trees, especially as I get back outdoors now after being inside most of the winter. I noticed a couple of trees that I need to finish taking down that could be a problem if I wasn't paying careful attention.

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #6  
It seems I'm alergic to certain trees also. I can't really trim or cut certain kind of pine trees, or I break out. I actually can't even decorate a real christmas tree.

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #7  
Hint: Always check for the presence of poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac before cutting, moving, or worst, burning brush and trees.

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #8  
Sounds like you got lucky (sort of). I've taken to wearing my hard hat with an integrated metal face shield (sort of a fine mesh). That thing has saved me a number of times and has plenty of dents. I've taken to wearing it almost anytime I'm on the tractor now just out of habit and for the built in ear protection.

I'm allergic to a lot of types of trees / wood as well. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason, but you can get a pretty bad reaction, almost like poison ivy just by touching some types of wood. Hope the swelling goes down quickly.

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #9  
In New England, we also have to watch for Poison Parsnip. Looks like Queen Anne's Lace but is yellow in color vs white. When it touches your skin, it leaves a burn like rash.

/ Tree branch strike and a bonus surprise #10  
My whole family got the poison ivy exposeure from a pile burn.. They were using a blower on it..