Tree Cutter

/ Tree Cutter #1  

jeffghs

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21DA
I saw an ad for this on another web site I look at regularly(horsetrailerworld.com). Looks to be a little pricey, but an interesting concept for keeping trees cut down.

http://www.havroc.com/

/ Tree Cutter #2  
Ok, how does it work? No moving parts. Do you move the tractor back and forth to cause the sawing motion? I tried to find some type of description on how it is used but found nothing on the web site.

Jeff

/ Tree Cutter #3  
I guess I just joined the club too... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

After some effort I gave up trying to figure out how it worked. I also concluded you must move back and forth...which could be a drag on a non-hst tractor.

Then again...maybe the teeth are aggressive enough that one push and your done... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Certainly poor web site design/content in my book... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Tree Cutter
I am in the same boat as you guys trying to figure this thing out. I did notice on the specs page, that it would cut from 3-4 inch trees in a single pass, up to 8-14 inches with the biggest dozer. The max size it would cut through was 86 in.

I don't know how useful it would really be, but the ad caught my attention on the other site.

/ Tree Cutter #5  
There is a chart that states what size tree can be cut in one pass. The tractor does have to be moved back and forth to cut from either side of the V shaped blades.
It appears that some softwoods of a fair size could be cut in one pass. The others would require multiple passes.
Quite pricey for what they are, but at least one woulnd't have to add hydraulics to use it. John
EDIT: If you look at the picture of the cutter on a skid steer, you can see the cutters on either side. J

/ Tree Cutter #6  
This is a take off of the rome KG cutter heads for dozers.
Rome Plow

A dozer version would be in a V shape.

One would approach the tree and cut a notch along one side and then the other. Then go around the other side and push it over. It's really hard on the undercarriage of the machine.

These would be used when the trees are too big for a dozer to push over with any sort of speed.

/ Tree Cutter #7  
Last month I was visiting my cousin in Iowa, and he showed me his 'cutter' which was, as near as I can tell, identical in most respects. He raved about how fast he could clear land with the thing. Just used his skid steer and moved back and forth, 'sawing' through until it falls over. Sounded real impressive. He said the cut is close to the ground, so no stumps sticking up. The teeth were about 2 inches long.

In addition, his had a hyd. operated tooth on top near the point that would open and grab onto a stem. He said he could load it or drag it right onto the burn pile, or hold it up to block it into firewood.

I have seen a smaller version in the Bobcat line at the rental place I go to, but never talked to anyone who actually operated it to fell trees.

I would think sharpening the teeth would be a chore. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tree Cutter #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would think sharpening the teeth would be a chore. )</font>
I think they mentioned that hard facing and then sharpening is the way to do it. Would be time consuming for sure. But I bet they stay sharp for a good while though. John

/ Tree Cutter #9  
If it cuts in one swipe, I sure hope you're supposed to be backing up when the tree finally lets go! If you do it the other way with a bigger tree, one little extra nudge from the bobcat and the tree may coming down on top of you! A 4" tree is probably not the worst of problems, but those 14 inchers would sure give you a headache!

/ Tree Cutter #10  
I AGREE WITH GRANDAD, I WOULDN'T WANT A LARGE TREE FALLING ON ME. ALSO. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE TREE PINCHES THE BLADE AND YOU DONT HAVE THE HP AND/OR TRACTION TO PULL YOU AWAY. TIME TO GET THE CHAINSAW OUT. SEEMS LIKE IT IS EASIER TO GET THE CHAINSAW OUT RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING.