Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #401  
It's not that I can't hear... often I just can't understand especially when there's a lot of background noise.
The first time I took a hearing test was in a soundproof booth at a paper mill. I am relatively sure that some of the things I reacted to were the backup beeper of a nearby forklift or other machine.
Then it wasn't soundproof.

Our testing occurred in a van in the parking lot. I sat in a booth in the van with headphones on indicating whenever I heard a sound by pushing a button on a little buzzer stick they gave me. While they were administering the test, I had to ask the person administrating the test to ask the other two technicians in the front of the van to stop talking, as I could hear some tones of their conversation. I think it was resonating through the van walls or floor. They apologized and we continued the test.

However, just because I could hear sounds from them talking from two rooms away didn't mean my hearing was good. We found that I have significant loss in a couple ranges. Most likely from the loud music and jet engines.

/ Tree cutting accident #402  
Then it wasn't soundproof.

Our testing occurred in a van in the parking lot. I sat in a booth in the van with headphones on indicating whenever I heard a sound by pushing a button on a little buzzer stick they gave me. While they were administering the test, I had to ask the person administrating the test to ask the other two technicians in the front of the van to stop talking, as I could hear some tones of their conversation. I think it was resonating through the van walls or floor. They apologized and we continued the test.

However, just because I could hear sounds from them talking from two rooms away didn't mean my hearing was good. We found that I have significant loss in a couple ranges. Most likely from the loud music and jet engines.
It was considered soundproof. Yet you picked up on my point. I have never been sure which I was hearing, a piece of equipment or what I was actually supposed to be hearing.

/ Tree cutting accident #404  
^^^^^
Anything from this show is worth watching, but this is a classic scene!!!

/ Tree cutting accident #405  
Not sure much safety gear would have protected in these situations. It sounds like inexperience or carelessness in how they were doing the work..... but the biggest factor of all is how much did they think about the possible outcomes and plan to avoid them.
I think the biggest factor in limb trimming is trying to saw from below. To be really safe, IMHO you need to have the equipment to allow the cut to start from the top of a limb....and as you are aware even that is not 100%. I/we have done a lot of work in the 20-30' range and when we were young and stupid (as was the whole industry) that was done by working from ladders or climbing structures. You can't do that at a job site any more (thankfully) so why would you do it on your own? (yes, you know the answer: either don't want to spend the money or really don't know any better). We usually rent a tow-behind man lift these days.

/ Tree cutting accident #406  
I always make my first limb cut on the bottom. Like this. Avoids potential tear out, hanging branches, etc. Make a small cut on the bottom. Then cut outward of the first cut. When the branch starts to fall, it snaps off cleanly at the 1st undercut.

IMG_3234.jpeg
IMG_3234.jpeg

/ Tree cutting accident #407  
😳I always make my first limb cut on the bottom. Like this. Avoids potential tear out, hanging branches, etc. Make a small cut on the bottom. Then cut outward of the first cut. When the branch starts to fall, it snaps off cleanly at the 1st undercut.

View attachment 834660View attachment 834660
This is especially handy when cutting a 10" oak limb with a 12" bar on your pole saw, 5 feet over your head. (Although I still managed to take out my sister's fence and clothesline)

/ Tree cutting accident #408  
I always make my first limb cut on the bottom. Like this. Avoids potential tear out, hanging branches, etc. Make a small cut on the bottom. Then cut outward of the first cut. When the branch starts to fall, it snaps off cleanly at the 1st undercut.

View attachment 834660View attachment 834660
I taught my son this one a couple of weekends ago. He had worked 1.5 years for as tree trimming service a few years back and they never taught him this one. They just tried to rip through them fast with their chainsaws so that it did not split. i asked him if that worked very often and he said they didn't care. Personally I like the nice clean trim it leaves for a nice looking tree.