Tree cutting accident

/ Tree cutting accident #381  
Be careful out their guys when working around trees. Neighbor and customer of mine was air lifted to a trauma center after having a widow maker hit him in the head while cutting firewood. Don't know many details at this point.
Even though cutting a tree should be as easy as 1,2,3. I'll admit there have been a few that scared me and I called in a pro even though I had better cutting equipment than he had. It was worth the price. Sometimes as men, we need to step back even though we're capable we need to call a professional. Nothing is worth your life, or limb to save a few dollars.

/ Tree cutting accident #382  
its not only the decibel level it the combination of time and decibel, shorter the time higher the decibel one can be subjected to or the reverse longer the time smaller the decibel it need to be... people get deaf off their left hear by driving with their window down.

/ Tree cutting accident #383  
I do not understand the need for hearing protection. Maybe it is because I do not have a big saw (Stihl 029). It just isn't loud enough to worry about hearing there are many things I hear every day that are much louder.

Also, when I am out in the forest I like to listen to what is happening - for instance is the wind that I am not feeling on the ground moving the treetops around potentially causing falling limbs or other dangers.

You might want to get your hearing checked for hearing loss.

/ Tree cutting accident #384  
In the 70's I operated a 15 ton P&H Crane(40' boom/25' jib) FWD truck platform with front wheel drive. It had a Chrysler flathead 6 in the crane. In warm weather there was a window on my left that we would take out to get some air. The engine was not loud, but it had a motorcycle throttle and we were constantly up and down with the engine speed.

After a dozen years it ruined about 1/2 my hearing in my left ear, but my right ear is ok.

In the 90's I started operating again, but this time the 23 ton crane had a Detroit Diesel 353, very loud clatter with a blower. One day with that sucker and I stopped at K-mart on the way home and bought some earplugs or I would be completely deaf.

/ Tree cutting accident #386  
You might want to get your hearing checked for hearing loss.
I have been hearing tested regularly and no issues. But then I typically do not operate a saw for a long time. Just an hour here and there but my saw is not that loud and yes if it is idling and i am holding it at my side I can hear many things going on with wind in the tree branches above. Now I do not have a high powered saw and do not operate all day long every day - I just cut about six cords of firewood every year and trim a lot of trees around my place.

I have heard other saws and hear other saws operating that are much louder and have much more of a "scream" but those certainly are not mine. I am also around a lot of other noisy equipment for work and am very sensitive to decibel levels. Running a machining and plastic injection molding shop there are lots of noises but when a mill is making a lot of noise we figure out what is wrong and fix it. Some of my people think I am a little nuts when I complain that a mill is making too much noise and state that we need to change it - they say it is just what it is. As an engineer I understand that noise is caused by vibration and vibration is never a good thing as it means lack of smoothness so we need to find the source and remove it.

Now when I used to work in a stamping facility I wore hearing protection - there are some noises that are just too loud. I just believe that a lot can be done to reduce the noise and and some things are falsely blamed for hearing loss.

/ Tree cutting accident #387  
Yesterday was cool but nice so I took advantage and cut and split about a cord of wood off of my log pile. It has been a while since I split that much wood at once (manual with a 12 lb maul) and it took its toll on me. Of all the injuries what did I get - an approximately 3" piece of firewood rolled off the pile onto my thumbnail and gave me a bloodblister under the nail - nothing big but a little painful and very annoying. No my ears were not ringing and I wasn't wearing ear plugs.

/ Tree cutting accident #388  
No my ears were not ringing and I wasn't wearing ear plugs.
I worked most of my career on large scale high power RF and microwave amplifiers, stuff the size of semi trucks, with tens or hundreds of kilowatts of cooling fans and heat pumps. Some of these amplifiers ran down into single-digit kilohertz territory, and the ferrite cores would just scream, like a billion dog whistles or dying lightbulbs.

My first day in the lab as a young engineer, I remember it driving me up the wall, like a dentists drill going on a tooth for hours on end. At one point I walked from my desk on the far end of this gymnasium-sized lab, over to where one of the old-timers had his head literally inside of an amplifier chassis, with all the ferrites just screaming bloody murder. I asked him how he could stand being that close to that noise, and he said, "what noise?" :ROFLMAO:

When I described it to him, he said something like, "oh yeah, any of us who've been working one this stuff for any amount of time lose our hearing at those frequencies." It was true, there wasn't anyone over 50 in that building who could hear those amps, while they drove the young guys absolutely batty.

Point is, if your ears aren't ringing after a full day of on and off saw usage, it's probably a sign your hearing is already shot, more than anything else. It's okay, hearing loss, or at least some plausible claim to it, can be very handy for any married person.

/ Tree cutting accident #389  
And my point is that my hearing has been checked for work and it is not damaged.

/ Tree cutting accident #390  
Is that from the ‘company doc’? Just being declared ‘fit for work’ at a particular job may not be the same as having perfect hearing.

I don’t mean to argue with you about your hearing. You are the one who has to be satisfied not me. Understandably, there is skepticism expressed based on other experiences.

Younger people need to be encouraged to protect their hearing.