Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it?

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #1  

jejeosborne

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota/B7800
I have had a bad day to say the least. I was cutting firewood this morning and the tree I was cutting fell on the tractor. I know I am a bonehead. It got hung up in another tree and changed directions on its way down. Halfway through the cut I even thought about that happening and then decided that it was unsafe to move the tractor. Will the insurance cover this even though i am at fault? Here are some pics for those of you who want to feel my pain. My great neightbor helped me load it onto my trailer and get it out of the woods. I am guessing $2500 damage anyone else have an estimate? No damage to the hood or right fender. Destroyed the entire dash. Fortunately the left tire absorbed a lot of the fall otherwise I think it could have broke the tractor in half! Ruptured the fuel tank (that I just filled) and bent the loader valve handle. The good news is that I will have an hour meter that reads 0000 again.

Attachments

• tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    642.6 KB · Views: 2,073
  • tractor2.jpg
    tractor2.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 1,421
  • tractor3.jpg
    tractor3.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 1,532
  • mikehelp.jpg
    mikehelp.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 1,552
   / Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #2  
My guess is yes...as long as you were on your property...after all, you didn't do this intentionally.
However, only your insurance agent can answer your question accurately.

Good luck!!

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #3  
" Who says you were at fault ? Just looks like an accident to me - Plain and Simple !

I am sure when you call your agent and tell him or her you had an " accident " and you are speaking with the presumption that it will be covered, all will be well. In other words you are just calling to report the accident and see how they want you to handle getting it repaired...the assumption on your part being the payment for repairs is imminent from them. I'm just saying it is all in your presentation........

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #4  
Man, Sorry to see that.

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #5  
Wow. Very sorry to see that. Considering factory parts prices and dealer labor costs these days (lots of labor hours there), I'd bet you could easily double or even triple that $2500 guess. Depending on its model year/current value in the tractor blue book, it might get totaled and bought from you for blue book value by the insurance company. Don't know if that would make you happy or not. Good luck with it, and I'd not recommend bringing up 'fault' if I were you. It was just a scary accident and you're happy you're not in the hospital or worse. Felling a tree, wind shifted and gusted, etc. etc.

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #6  
I am glad you were not in the seat at the time. :shocked: That could have been really bad. It missed the ROPS altogether from what I could see. It is painful, but at least it is only a thing.

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #7  
I guess you can add this to the "dumbest thing you have done with your tractor" thread!! Sorry it happened though, good luck getting it repaired.

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #8  
Sorry to see that! Hope your homeowners covers it,BUT when I inquired about my tractor being covered by my homeowners, my agent assured me it wasn't. I had to have a "marine inland " separate policy for the tractor, which I purchased. Since the tractor is new I couldn't afford to take that kind of loss.
amaxwell

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #9  
Thank GOD that you are okay and that no one was sitting in that tractor!

Please let us know what your insurer said because a lot of us have had situations where a tree or branch has caused damage to our equipment--maybe not as bad as yours though!!!!!!

A few years ago, I was pushing some large tree branches that had fallen in my front yard, from my fenceline and using the loader as I had many times before, to push the limbs into another area, where they could be cut up. At one point, one of the limbs just jumped up and poked my hood, dented the grill screen, broke my headlight guard and left a 4 inch diameter, semi-round dent in my fiberglass hood!!! I was really upset but never thought of calling my State Farm agent, to see if it was covered. Maybe I'll do that, if the statute of limitations hasn't run out!!!!!

Sam

/ Tree falls on Tractor will Homeowners insurance cover it? #10  
Thankfully you were not hurt.