Tree Puller and logs

/ Tree Puller and logs #12  
Jag,
I finally got around to building a small tree puller.
I built it with only one fork but I used it today and it was really impressive. I have a home made sort of quick hitch on my BX that has a receiver hitch, carry-all attachment and a weight box attachment. I made the tree puller to go into the receiver hitch. Thank's again for the idea./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
See attachment for Picture.
Rich...

Attachments

• 47-137373-DCP_1164(resized).jpg
    47-137373-DCP_1164(resized).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 887
   / Tree Puller and logs #13  
Close up Picture of tree puller.

Attachments

• 47-137376-DCP_1167r(resized).jpg
    47-137376-DCP_1167r(resized).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 845
   / Tree Puller and logs #14  
JAG
How do like the JD450 dozer? Bet that will "pull 'em out"! Do you have a winch? I have seen a couple with 3 tooth rippers mounted on the back of a JD450C. I read somewhere on TBN that the "newer" dozers (i.e. JD450H) have HST and work real slick. I looked but they are WAY out of my range - $50G's - used.

/ Tree Puller and logs
Forsty, Oh yes the JD 450 is a great dozer. The size and power is just right. One thing I really like about it is the number of people who know about them and can give some advice about them. One farmer just down the road had one that is the same year as mine, it is nice to be able to just go down the road and get some fisthand advice. Also I can go down tho the local JD farm shop and pick up most all parts for the standard maintance. If I had to go to the heavy equipment company to pick up filters it would be a 130 mile round trip.

My 450 does have the winch on it, I have not used it much. The control cable is missed up, and have not had time to check it all the way out. The tranny on the JD450C is a good one and easy to use, with 4 forward/rev gear ranges, and auto high-low-rev in each gear. Very easy to use and dependable.

You can get a used JD450C from about $8000 to about 20,000, a good one would run 15,000 to 18,000. You really need to know what to look for when buying. You can get a 10k machaine and drop a 5-10k very fast on the undercarriage and drives.

/ Tree Puller and logs
F-man, here is a link to a pic of the JD450 and the little tractor.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=photos&Number=68043&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Jag&Match=Username&Searchpage=6&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=68043>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?...68043</A>

/ Tree Puller and logs #17  
Jag, sorry but still confused here. Looks like you back down on the tree to pull it out. Is this right? Then go forward and the tree stays in the puller until you lower the 3pt and drad it loose? thanks, bw

/ Tree Puller and logs #18  
A friend of mine has a snatch block hanging under his quick-hitch, with a short cable choker attached to his drawbar. You lower your 3pt and back up to the log. Attach choker to end of the log, and raise the 3pt. The cable goes tight, choking the log, and raising it at the same time. almost like a mini winch.
This works great for cornering also.

/ Tree Puller and logs
BW, that is basicly the use. Once you get a feel for using it, the work goes fast. At first you will hang the tree too tight in the forks and it is hard to get back out. After a little use you back up into the tree and pop it out and drop it almost where it was, unless you want to move it to a pile before droping it.