Tree Puller?

/ Tree Puller? #11  
Ever thought of a tree sheer? They can either cut or pull. Seen one used once and worked amazing. The guy even pruned a large tree that he want to leave standing. Small stuff was pulled and the larger trees were cut then he went back with root grapple to get the ball out of the ground. The sheer had a small grapple above the blades to stack trees in to piles. Looked like a lot of fun.

/ Tree Puller?
Ever thought of a tree sheer? They can either cut or pull. Seen one used once and worked amazing. The guy even pruned a large tree that he want to leave standing. Small stuff was pulled and the larger trees were cut then he went back with root grapple to get the ball out of the ground. The sheer had a small grapple above the blades to stack trees in to piles. Looked like a lot of fun.

I have a cedar tree cutter. I broke a blade on it, and am looking at other options.

This one is designed to reach under cedars, you can't pull trees with it. When I converted it from 3 point, I made it to sit flat at the tree, no matter what angle the V417 was on. Also used a chain top link to not put any down pressure that would bend the frame.

Cedar Tree Cutter 1-7-2011.JPG Cedar Tree Cutter (0).JPG Cedar Tree Cutter (1).JPG Cedar Tree Cutter (4).JPG Cedar Tree Cutter (7).JPG P3290001.JPG

/ Tree Puller? #13  
The one I seen use was very robust. 1" or 1.5" plate steal. Looked to have a 5" or 6" cylinder on it also. It was almost like the big feller buncher used for logging just smaller.

/ Tree Puller? #14  
So the base plate broke off perpendicular to the cutting edge?

Did the break look like it happened over a period of time?

/ Tree Puller?
The one I seen use was very robust. 1" or 1.5" plate steal. Looked to have a 5" or 6" cylinder on it also. It was almost like the big feller buncher used for logging just smaller.

Yep, I have seen that type, but it wouldn't work well on cedar trees with long limbs at ground level like these.
redced1 (Large).jpg
I need the puller for small trees that will grow back if cut off.

So the base plate broke off perpendicular to the cutting edge?

Did the break look like it happened over a period of time?

The blade broke because the manufacturer didn't preheat it when they rewelded the brace where the original weld cracked.

It broke when I was cutting a big oak tree. I don't see an old crack, where it broke. The cutter is close to 25 years old.

P3290003.JPG P3290005.JPG P3290006.JPG

/ Tree Puller?
Update, tree puller was delivered yesterday. :D
P6130001.JPG P6130004.JPG P6130011.JPG

Hydraulic shop supplied the fittings and cut a 12' hose that I had saved for many years.
P6140013.JPG P6140015.JPG

First tree pulled. :thumbsup:
P6140018.JPG

It works good, like I thought it would! :D
P6140024.JPG P6140025.JPG P6140034.JPG P6140035.JPG

I bought this style, because I can see the opening where it grabs the tree, from the seat in the V417.

/ Tree Puller? #17  
That is a interesting tool.

Can it be rotated for picking up logs and such?

How large a tree can it pull?

I don't see where any great torque is generated due to the position of the tree from the pivot point.

I would think the grabber part would be in close to the pivot point.

/ Tree Puller? #18  
That's an interesting design. I would think you lose a lot of "power" with it so far out in front of the loader, however I know you have around 5k lb lift capacity so for you I guess it doesn't matter :laughing:

Did you come across any tree pullers that are meant to be used on a 3 point hitch?

Also, did you get a price for the Tree Terminator? I'm interested in that style, they don't list a price on their site.

/ Tree Puller? #19  
I've never saw that design either. Wouldn't work very good on a tractor, but would be okay on a skidsteer. Even then, I think you'd get tired of getting it positioned on a tree. A couple weeks ago I pulled over 100 trees for my neighbor in 3 hours. I was tired of hitting the tree with my V design puller, can't imagine having to squirm myself onto everyone of those with this design. But if it works great for you, that's what's important!!!

/ Tree Puller?
That is a interesting tool. Yep, just what I was looking for.

Can it be rotated for picking up logs and such? No.

How large a tree can it pull? This one is rated for 4".

I don't see where any great torque is generated due to the position of the tree from the pivot point. Not a problem on the Versahandler.

I would think the grabber part would be in close to the pivot point. Right, they make 3 models that are.
4 inch.jpg 6 inch.jpg 8 inch.jpg
I was going to order the other style, but didn't because the gripping clamp is in a blind spot on the Versahandler. Then I saw the "Long Arm Buckthorn, Tree & Post Puller", and got it. As you can tell from the pictures, I can see the tree when I clamp on to it.

Here is the Website: Buckthorn Puller - Custom built Skid Steer attachments to fit almost any need you may have.