Tree Trimmer Build

/ Tree Trimmer Build #1  

Todd727

Gold Member
Tractor
CaseIH Maxxum 115
I saw something similar here and decided to build my own. Grabbed a pump and pulley from Burden. Picked up a scrap table saw arbor and got to work. Hoses, idler and belt came from Tractor supply. Titan is local to me so that's where I got the mount plate. Less than $500 invested. Commercial units seem to sell for several thousand dollars. I will probably look for a 1" arbor so that I can run a 12" blade, but the 10" blade works fine up to about 4" limbs.

The video looks slow and jerky because I was running it with one hand while holding the phone in the other. It actually works great and I trimmed along a quarter mile of drive in about 15 minutes.

Guards will be next, but I needed to make sure it worked.

Trimmer1.jpg Trimmer2.jpg Trimmer3.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tree Trimmer Build #2  
Great job. I have though about doing the same thing except using 2 or 3 blades in a row or maybe a chain saw bar and chain. I need a rather long cutting edge. I had a eye injury several years ago and the extended cutting edge would compensate (i hope) for my lack of dept perception when positioning the blade. What are the specs on your hydraulic motor? What rpm's is the blade spinning at?

/ Tree Trimmer Build
This is the pump I bought:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?item=9-1182

My skidsteer puts out about 23 gpm at 2500 psi. The max RPM of the motor is 5000. The pulleys should give me about a 1.8:1 ratio. Theoretically, then, the blade will run at 9000 rpm. However, I found that I can cut very easily at idle or just above idle. Probably not turning more than 3000rpm at the blade, but I don't have any real way to measure it. I connected one of the pressurized ports on the skidsteer and the case drain connector for the return. That ensures that the motor can only turn in one direction. That is important. Running it in reverse would quickly unscrew the blade.

I originally was going to build or adapt a hydraulic chainsaw but after I saw the Trimall website (it's gone now) I decided this would be better and easier to fabricate. Two of the problems with the chainsaw style are 1) keeping the chain tight and 2) setting up an oiler. With the saw blade, I don't have either issue.

I think I'm going to build some bushings for the 12" blades. I had one of the Harbor Freight bushings laying around and tried it. It is easier to cut and see what I'm doing with the 12" blade, but the HF bushings didn't stay in place. I'll need some thicker ones that can't come out of the blade hole.

/ Tree Trimmer Build #4  
While I can see this being used in the next 'Saw' movie, I fail to see the practical use over a chainsaw-on-a-stick? Other than being able to sit while cutting, it seem to take waayy longer and use waayy more fuel.

/ Tree Trimmer Build #5  
Midniteoyl said:
While I can see this being used in the next 'Saw' movie, I fail to see the practical use over a chainsaw-on-a-stick? Other than being able to sit while cutting, it seem to take waayy longer and use waayy more fuel.

Chainsaw on a stick is a bit slower and gets tiring very fast. Also, you have the limbs falling on you. Plus, this is just plain cool looking!

/ Tree Trimmer Build

Well, like I said in the OP, it's slow to run when you only have one hand to move the arm and reposition the machine. Plus, there was a slight learning curve. It's much faster with two hands. Finally, I've used the pole saw and I can tell you that after trimming 3 miles of trail, carrying bar oil and extra fuel as well as holding that saw up in the air, this is much more efficient and faster. I have 6 miles of trail to trim, both sides have to be cleared high enough for a horse and rider. No way I can do that in a single day with a pole saw.

Plus, this is just plain cool looking!

Thank you!

/ Tree Trimmer Build #7  
A great job of fabricating. I want one.
Stuck

/ Tree Trimmer Build #9  
Well, like I said in the OP, it's slow to run when you only have one hand to move the arm and reposition the machine. Plus, there was a slight learning curve. It's much faster with two hands. Finally, I've used the pole saw and I can tell you that after trimming 3 miles of trail, carrying bar oil and extra fuel as well as holding that saw up in the air, this is much more efficient and faster. I have 6 miles of trail to trim, both sides have to be cleared high enough for a horse and rider. No way I can do that in a single day with a pole saw.

Thank you!
At 6 miles to trim, I can see it.. Around here, they use a bush-hog-on-a-stick (boom).. makes quit the mess, but is very fast :)

/ Tree Trimmer Build #10  
I wouldn't go much over idle when using the saw, ever! look at the max rpm on the blade and you'll see 9K is WAY over speed, and might result in blade failure. A chunk of saw blade at that speed could come at you like a bullet. I love your idea and work, but I would add some sort of rear blade guard to it, for YOUR protection.