Trees hung up in woods

/ Trees hung up in woods #11  
Man ole man..now thats a close one.
I was limbing out a big pine tree which I fallen,then the next thing I knew I was on my knees sucking air.
A 2" branch came free and snap me in the back..I put some words together I never thought of saying /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif
One has always be on there guard in that kind of work.
Ever been in the middle of cutting down a tree and notice there a bees nest..yikes.

/ Trees hung up in woods #12  
I can't tell you the right way to do this, but I have first hand experience with the wrong way. My dad and I were working on one of these when I was about 10 years old. It was only about 6 inches in diameter. The method was to cut a chunk off the bottom, then drag (by hand) the remaining trunk away from the supporting tree. Somehow though, I managed to get under the tree and it fell on my head. 16 stitches later (and still have the scar on my forehead) I was all set for more, but we didn't use that method anymore.

Like I said, I'm still not sure the correct, safe way to handle these but I sure do have respect for them /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trees hung up in woods #13  
I agree totally with winching trees being the safest method. I use the old boy scout method of using a stick as long as the length from your eye to your thumb to estimate the height of a tree and we winch if there is anything within 25' of where the tree could possibly fall, even if it isn't dead. Dead trees are even more dangerous as limbs can detach and fall on you.

/ Trees hung up in woods #14  
And another good reason that I wear a hard hat in the woods. I had a 'widow maker' (white oak limb 4" diam and about 3' long) drop on the stump of the tree I just cut (fallen tree brushed through another tree and dislodged the limb). It made a loud thud that will not be forgotten, and lucky it didn't land on my head.

/ Trees hung up in woods #15  
Someone mentioned using a pro trimmer to work on trees. I tried that once. They did a great job including the cleanup. Average cost per tree cut down ended up at about $150 per tree. For $2K I nailed alot of very large messed up trees. However, the cost jumped up when we started talking about 1/2 dropped trees like we are discussing here. Thats when I decided to go get "the truck" and do it myself, by myself. I pulled 6 trees down and out in about 2 hours time without a scratch. Took longer to burn them. Most of these are about 60' tall 16" across trees. The truck cost my friend $2500, its a 1980 AM General 5 ton with a flatbed and winch, what a toy. If he did not have this for me to use I'd have to consider buying one like it or a little older gas unit just because of their value. The tree guy who did my trees followed up thinking I'd change my mind. I told him I'd cleared them myself in 2 hours. He said sure you did. I told him to come out sometime and I'd show him how I did it. He now has a old usmc 5 ton they use for "remote" work as he called it. I agree this is dangerous stuff without the right tools and I'd never go after one of these with a chainsaw. Good luck, ric

/ Trees hung up in woods #16  
That truck was made right here in good old South Bend, Indiana! Home of AM General.

When I was a kid we had two huge oaks that fell down on our very steep hill. They fell into the lake at the bottom. My dad hired a tree company to get them removed. The tree guy somehow got the Army Core of Engineers to bring out a 5 ton army truck to the other side of the lake(an oxbow lake that was about 100 yards across) The Army guys brought a rope over to the trees with our row boat then used the rope to pull a cable across the lake. They hooked the cable to the trees and the guy in the 5 ton just put it in reverse. Pulled both trees out by the roots and dragged them across the lake and up onto the shore of a public park, where they cut them up and hauled them off. My dad didn't ask the tree guy how he pulled that off with the city parks department or the Army. He just gave the guy $500.00 and said thanks!

/ Trees hung up in woods #17  
Rubintropfen, Sorry to chime in so late. I know how you feel about having to call the "PROS". This can be done fairly safely several ways as a DIY job. The deuce and a half with a winch is good but although slower even a long chain and a comealong can do the job with this proviso...

You have to have something to anchor the comealong.

Perhaps there are suitable trees close enough to use but far enough away to be safe. Put a chain or cable (rope stretches a lot under load, storing up a lot of energy and can cause you lots of grief if it breaks or something comes lose) around the tree to be removed and run it a safe distance toward your anchor. There are wide straps with attachment points at each end made for this (Warn winch company and others sell them or make your own. They prevent damage to the anchor tree.)

Two comealongs work well.
Attach the comealong to the anchor (use the tree saving strap). Set strap as low to ground as is practical.
The other end of the extended comealong hooks to the chain that runs to the tree to be removed.

Repeat the following steps until the tree is horizontal on the ground where you can cut it up safely.

1. Ratchet in the comealong
2. Extend the other comealong and hook onto the chain (similar to first).
3. Ratchet in this comealong which frees up the other.
4. Extend the free comealong and attach to chain

Is tree in question horizontral on ground yet?

Yes... cut it up
No... repeat the above steps

OK, so much for pseudo code and computer programming... In reality the tree may be tall in comparison to your chain so... You might have to select a second, third, xxx anchor to stay far enough from the tree being removed to remain safe. I assumed poor access to tree to be removed. If it is within a cable distance from where you can get a truck or tractor (maybe after a few applications of the comealong) you could try the vehicle as an anchor. You can pad the bumper of a truck and anchor to the truck letting the tension try to pull the truck through a "helper" tree. Sometimes the vehicle can't do the job at first but can after you do the "heavy lifting" with comealongs.

Comealongs are cheap a real bargain. Get a couple HD units beefier than you think you will ever need and you will probably eventually have occasion to be real glad you didn't save a couple bucks and buy flimsy ones. A few bucks spent there is good insurance.

About calling the pros. Be safe. If it isn't safe, call the pros. Better you call the tree pros than your widow calls the enbalming pros. That said, if you are careful and use really beefy chain and comealongs and select robust anchor points there is no reason you can't pull down a quite substantial "Sword of Damacles".

Patrick

/ Trees hung up in woods #18  
I found out it is very nice to have an extra chain bar when you pinch your saw,it saves a lot of work,unless you pinch the second bar/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and have them both stuck,which I HAVE NOT done yet /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trees hung up in woods #19  
One thing I forgot to mention, but patrickg's post reminded me about. A nice strong snatch block will work wonders when used with heavy cable. You can guy the snatch block off to something stationary and pull in that direction even if there are substantial obstacles to movement in that area (such as a creek or ditch).

/ Trees hung up in woods #20  
patrick, Interesting technique, kinda of a drag line the hard way. Anyway between your technique and the brute force solution I use I think I prefer being 100 feet away at the controls of the "Beast", thats the name of the 5 ton truck I use. In fact using this truck is fun and I have cleaned up a lot of the woods around our house.