Tresspassing neighbors

/ Tresspassing neighbors #1  

WoodChuckDad

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320 Power Shuttle Cab, Komatsu PC130-6
I have game cameras on my land, including a couple that point to my driveway. I got a picture of someone checking out my tractor. No damage done and I think it was just the father of a neighbor I know. Probably just curiosity. I also got a picture of another neighbor walking down the driveway with his daughters ( I assume they are his daughters). He was carrying a rifle. That one torqued me off pretty good, as I have posted signs all over the boundary of the property. He rents a place that is 2.5 acres, across the private road from my land. From his front porch he can easily see 3 posted/ no trespassing signs. In Virginia, hunting on posted land is punishable by up to $2,500 and/or 12 months in jail. I don't know this guy. Have only seen him once while driving down the road. I don't know how long he has lived there but obviously he doesn't respect the signs and my property rights. I'm thinking I will print out the picture and go talk to him. Simply say that I am the new owner and any permission he had from previous owner is no longer valid.

How would you all handle this?

/ Tresspassing neighbors #2  
Maybe he does not speak or read English or want to learn our ways.

/ Tresspassing neighbors #3  
I would NOT give him a copy of the picture as he could use it to find your camera(s). I would either:
1. Stop by and explain that you saw him on your cameras, he doesn't have permission to be there and (if it seems necessary) that you will press charges for trespassing next time
2. Send him a letter via registered mail explaining that you saw him on your cameras, he doesn't have permission to be there and you will press charges for trespassing next time

I would lean toward talking to him in person first as it could be less confrontational than a letter showing up in the mail. I would however have my phone in my shirt pocket recording the conversation (being as VA only requires the consent of one party to record a conversation) in case he causes problems down the road (that way you can prove to the officer that he knew that he didn't have permission to be there even if he claims to have not seen the signs).

Aaron Z

/ Tresspassing neighbors #4  
I think I would handle it the same way, the first time. The second time it happened I would just call the law and let them handle it.

/ Tresspassing neighbors #5  
No need to mention the camera, just say something more vague like "You were spotted..." or "It has come to my attention...", or "I know you went on to my property....", etc...

/ Tresspassing neighbors
Based on looks I would guess he is a native English speaker. I'm sure that I will find out. I was told by a local farmer , back when I was buying the place, "if you have a pond stocked with fish your neighbors think it belongs to them". Seems like he was right.
To get to the area where his picture was taken he had to walk up the road past 4-5 no trespassing signs the walk around a gate with more no trespassing signs and a farm bureau-reward for trespasser info sign. Then down 300 yds of driveway, past my tractor to the pond.

Attachments

• image-1448123744.jpg
    image-1448123744.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 1,076
   / Tresspassing neighbors
I need to fix the date on that camera. It is off by about 6 months. This was taken just 2 weeks ago

/ Tresspassing neighbors #8  
That's kind of a disturbing picture. When I first read your description, I kind of assumed that they were hunting or on their way to hunting. But they're certainly not dressed for hunting - no license on his back. So, what's he doing with a gun on your property... and looking into the woods like he is hunting for something. And why's he carrying what looks to be some sort of AR variant on your property? And, what's on his hip? Another gun or some big knife? Regardless, it looks like he's trying to be bad-@$$ to his daughters.

I would definitely go talk to him and record the conversation. And, even if the conversation goes well, I would off load it from your phone and save it to a CD or something. Never know when you might need it. Years ago I had to go back through recorded conversations from a couple of years prior to get what was owed to me.

Don't be confrontational and I wouldn't mention your cameras. Just say that someone saw him heading down your driveway, with a gun and some teen-aged girls on such-and-such date.

Keep us up to date!

/ Tresspassing neighbors #9  
Personally, I'd just say, "hey, I don't mind if you'd like to walk around my place, but I'd really like you to ask before you come over, and I'd really prefer you left your guns at home". He'll likely be too embarrassed to ever repeat the act, and he'll have the impression that you're a reasonable and friendly person, which might come in handy down the line.

Seriously, though, what a moron. Who walks up their neighbors driveway with a rifle in their hands? What a strange and stupid example to set for your kids.

/ Tresspassing neighbors #10  
That's kind of a disturbing picture. ... Regardless, it looks like he's trying to be bad-@$$ to his daughters.

Seriously, though, what a moron. Who walks up their neighbors driveway with a rifle in their hands? What a strange and stupid example to set for your kids.

We/you shouldn't jump to conclusions and cast dispersions without knowing all the facts.

Presently we only know he's trespassing. We don't know if he's a moron, or that he's trying to impress his daughters, or if his poodle was just grabbed and carried off by a coyote, etc....

Playing devils advocate more: Are the posted signs "No trespassing for any reason signs" or are they "No hunting, No fishing without owner's permission" signs?

Do we know if he walked up to your house and knocked on your door (when you weren't home) to explain his presence or get permission?

There's only one way to hear his side of the story.

(That being said...I'd put my money on he probably has no excuse.)