Tricycles?

/ Tricycles? #21  
The walking beam effect of a wide front also smooths out the tractor front. Deere, however, did come out with a patented design call the Roll-o-matic which allowed the two wheels on a narrow front end to oscillate thus smoothing the ride somewhat.

My 2010 has that.

Well, In consideration of details.
The pivot on a pivoting solid axle is a line at the center of the tractor (the pivot pin.) While the pivot location for a "typical " tricycle is the out edge of the tire. so some what "further out" than the centerline axle pivot.

That was my "first pass assessment" and basis for the comment of preference.

There are a lot of variables in the mix, even ground conditions.. mighht take a fine pointed pencil to figure the difference ;-)

But I will conceed, The pivot point of a tricycle gear is at the ground!

cheers

Actually there are even some single front wheel tractors so the pivot would be centered.

I've spent a lot of time on both and IMO opinion it's not even close a wide front is more stable.
Yes; the Roll o Matic "walking beam" simulation may have 2, but has both wheels supporting weight equally over uneven terrain. So pivot is centered and at ground level like a single wheel.

I have long experience on our 2010 tricycle on slopes, and a little less on our 4 wheel loader tractors. The 3 wheel is pretty stable, but driven with more care. Lack of a roll bar and no second chance if a rear lifts tends to make you that way. Iv lifted a rear many times with 4 wheel loader work.
larry

/ Tricycles? #22  
Had not heard the term "pop starting" Can you elaborate on that?

Yes what is listed below is what pop starting is.

Around here that is the term used to roll a engine driven object down in incline. This would be in a gear with the clutch pushed in and when enough speed was built up to "pop" the clutch out and let the wheels spin the engine. Similar to a tow start, but when you don't have a tow vehicle, but a hill.

/ Tricycles? #23  
i'll take a narrow front for mowing ANY day of the week, vs wide front....

Do you mean for mowing hay? If so why?

I've mowed a lot of ground with both and I would much rather have the wide. Of course I've mowed a lot of hills and I couldn't even think about using our disk mower at any speed with trike. You also end up running over your swath

I do like them for certain things, working in woods, or trying to get into a tight space. Any kind of field work though I don't really care for them. The really old ones with no power steering if you hit something and the wheel spins.

I'm sure you have a reason, I'm just curious as to why.

/ Tricycles? #24  
we call it poping the clutch.. etc...

/ Tricycles? #25  
Do you mean for mowing hay? If so why?

I've mowed a lot of ground with both and I would much rather have the wide. Of course I've mowed a lot of hills and I couldn't even think about using our disk mower at any speed with trike. You also end up running over your swath

I do like them for certain things, working in woods, or trying to get into a tight space. Any kind of field work though I don't really care for them. The really old ones with no power steering if you hit something and the wheel spins.

I'm sure you have a reason, I'm just curious as to why.

any mowing. with a narrow front you can actually see in front of you.

I also disc and plow with a narrow front. works fine. plowing took a lil bit to get used to.

spin the wheel? not on a ford 55-64 rc or case narrow front like a vac. they have a straight worm and sector..

/ Tricycles? #26  
any mowing. with a narrow front you can actually see in front of you.

I also disc and plow with a narrow front. works fine. plowing took a lil bit to get used to.

spin the wheel? not on a ford 55-64 rc or case narrow front like a vac. they have a straight worm and sector..

I've only driven older Deere's, Farmall, and Allis Chalmers WD's and all 3 if you hit a woodchuck hole or a dead furrow the steering wheel can take off on you. I still remember my dad drilling into my head to keep my thumbs "up" and not wrap them around the steering wheel. Otherwise they could get broke when the spokes of the wheel hits them. I never had it take off but have had it jerked a few times over the years hitting in unseen hole.

/ Tricycles? #27  
Just wonder how many people who criticize the narrow fronts have ever actually ever used them?

I grew up on this one, along with several others:

Attachments

• TRACTORS 2006 002 (Small).jpg
    TRACTORS 2006 002 (Small).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 112
   / Tricycles? #28  
I've only driven older Deere's, Farmall, and Allis Chalmers WD's and all 3 if you hit a woodchuck hole or a dead furrow the steering wheel can take off on you. I still remember my dad drilling into my head to keep my thumbs "up" and not wrap them around the steering wheel. Otherwise they could get broke when the spokes of the wheel hits them. I never had it take off but have had it jerked a few times over the years hitting in unseen hole.

it's been a long time since i rebuilt the steering box on my JD B but it was a worm gear too.. but I can't remember if it had a recirculating ball or not. the R-B type can transmit power back the steering shaft. the straight worms tend to just lock up or turn very tightly when pressure applied at the lower wheels..

/ Tricycles? #29  
We mowed ditches for years with a n/f . Going around power poles with a w/f thebottomfront would come offthe ground when it hit pivot point .

/ Tricycles? #30  
ever hook a guide wire with a wide front maing a turn around a pole.

not fun!